Inish Mor


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway » Aran Islands
September 24th 2009
Published: September 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we took the ferry from Galway to the Aran Islands.... The sea's were rolling and Amber was convinced we were gonna flip the boat. And by boat I mean a pretty goodsized ship. Don't worry we didn't capsize and we got our moneys worth for the ride. We landed on Inish Mor, the largest of the three island, and rented Mountaibn bikes... more rust buckets with front suspension but at least most of the gears worked. We only got rained on for about 5-10 minutes but then the sun came out and we dried off quickly. We rode up to Dun Aengus, an ancient fort atop a cliff face that drops at least 500 feet straight down into the Atlantic. After that we toured the most of the island by bike. We found a very nice and affordable B&B and decided to stay the night, and sleep in a real bed. We also visited Joe Watty's, a local PUB that came highly recommended. We enjoyed a giant bowl of crab claws while watching a Manchester United victory in the Carling Cup. After dinner we stayed for the trad irish music. We have some video of some of the "locals" cutting a rug and will see if we can get it to load with some more picture when we get back to the main land. We are catching the ferry back to Galway soon where we will be raising a Pint at 17:59 local time to salute Arthur Guinness for the 250 year anniversary of when he signed the 9,000 year lease for the Guinness Brewery. After that it is probably south towards Doolin and the Cliffs of Moher.

Cheers!

Amber favorite so far: Rallying the Mtn Bikes past all the other tourist.
Scott's favorite so far: Lunch with our feet dangling off the cliffs at Dun Aengus.

Amber's least favorite: Having to jamb a rock in to the front derailer to keep it on the middle ring, therefore not having much shifting power.
Scott's least favorite: Trying to keep up with Amber on the uphill sections of the Tour de Inish

Advertisement



28th September 2009

Traveling partners
Huh... by the sounds of things I think next time Amber should go with Triathalon people, Scott and I should take in the sites and shoot photos, sit on the edge of cliffs and spit to see how far our lougies (sp?) can go while drinking a beer (quarter of a pint for me lest I fall off the cliff) and relax. ;)

Tot: 0.361s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb