Dublin 2005


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin
August 1st 2005
Published: September 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

We woke up really early today-about 3 am-nearly didn’t wake up if it weren’t for Kung and Po waking us up. We drove to Stansted airport-it was magnificent! Typical Norman Foster architecture style. It was crowded! We actually had to queue up to get into departures. The flight was a good chance to catch up on some sleep! We got to Dublin on a cool morning. We were wondering how to get around the city…as transport was really expensive (the bus cost 5 euros a day per person!) in the end we resorted to renting a car-a Volkswagen golf which was allright but not great cos it was only a 2 door. We drove around the ring road around the city, into the city centre and found our hotel. It was a well nice hotel!! Nice breakfast area and luxurious rooms-like dorset! There was a bit of misunderstand concerning the hotel room prices, and when we soon settled down to eat buffet breakfast, the waitress came up to us to tell us we had to pay-but in the end she did make a reduction which was considerate of her. During the day we went to Howth, a northern seaside town just NE of Dublin city centre-it was really nice!! The sun finally came out which was nice, and we ate ice creams and sat next to a friendly irish couple to chat. The man had a really strong irish accent. We also drove to the Dublin observatory which looked very nice on the outside, but it wasn’t open so it wasn’t that exciting. We also stopped by at a pub and bought a pint of Guinness-it was bitter but not as bad as London dry gin! In the evening we parked our car in town and walked to find a place to eat. The city had quite a few nice attractions-the spire was very cool, but the other statues were a bit ordinary! Which I know sounds a bit rude. The city centre’s also kind of messy and dirty…loadsa pubs and cafes with food which cost A LOT. We were trying to find Abbey Tavern along Abbey Street, and kept asking around, but it didn’t look like a place with a kind of tavern like that. Unfortunately we were so tired by the end of trying to find it we termed that the ‘Abbey Tavern Scenario’. We saw lotsa Chinese people in the city centre who spoke mandarin. We resorted to a Malaysian cuisine place-they spoke Cantonese! The food was not bad, and considerably cheaper than the other places around town. The waiter in the restaurant talked to us a lot and could see Kung was quite entertained to hear of someone speaking Cantonese…he told us a lot about immigrants into Ireland and the city centre.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb