Dublin


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
July 30th 2013
Published: July 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Last day in Ireland. Last day of our holidays. Heading home tomorrow.

What to do with our last day in Ireland. We got the Hop On - Hop Off bus through to the Zoo where Phoenix Park is. We wanted a walk in somewhere peaceful and this seemed to be the place to do it since it is so large. We first went to the Duke of Wellington obelisk which is the 2nd largest in the world after the Washington one and took a look at it. Quite impressive. Then across to the Zoo where we took a walk through the park and gardens then back down into the city. To the Guiness Factory or the Dublinia Museum. We chose the latter as it described the history of Dublin from it's beginnings after first being taken over by the Vikings and then during the medieval times by the English. The Vikings arrived around 800AD and did various raids on a few countries each year before settling in some areas like Dublin. The display went into the history of the Vikings and their lives. We have seen a lot of the medieval history over Ireland in the past week and this display showed the development in the Dublin area. Lastly there was access to the archeological offices showing their work and their finds.

After a sunny morning, guess what? It rained!! It poured. But only for a short time. Of course then the sun came out.

Next we went to Trinity College to view the Book of Kells. This is one of the oldest and best preserved books in the world and show the book illustrations and writings by scribes about the 4 gospels of Jesus. It was amazingly well preserved as were the other books like the book of Mullens and book of Armagh. I think there was another but can't remember what it was. After looking at the books we visited the Long Room of the College which is a library full of very old books. It's huge.

Tonight we're going to a dinner and music night of Irish music and dancing. Karilyn and Neil are going to Riverdance and since I have already been there didn't seem a lot of point in doing that again. This should be a fitting way to end our time in Ireland.

I have managed to have my e-reader screen blitz itself for no reason. My computer charger no longer charges. I dropped the camera and cracked it's screen so can no longer see what I am photographing. Point and shoot is exactly that! So, the power has almost gone in the computer and will be the end of my writing. Farewell Ireland, farewell holiday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

The book of KellsThe book of Kells
The book of Kells

Held at Trinity College


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb