Drinking in Dublin


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
March 12th 2010
Published: August 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

A trip to dreary Dublin in March is always a good reminder that the weather in London ain't so bad! This was my third trip to Dublin and i've yet to see the sun shine brightly in the city and I inevitably spend the majority of my time drinking Guiness in Temple Bar or Dame Street and its the only weekend trip where you feel much worse after the weekend than before.

Once again, I got to see a rugby game at Croke Park, which was actually the last game to be played at Croke Park, a 6 nations game between Ireland and Wales which Ireland comfortably won. The atmosphere at that place is fantastic and if there is one thing the Irish love doing, its singing. The pubs around the ground afterwards were rammed with people all happy and singing. I guess when you don't have the weather, you need the song - and a good sense of humour!

Sunday afternoon we wandered up Grafton St, which is a pedestrian shopping street, with plenty of amusing buskers to keep the non-shoppers like me entertained, and then around St Stephen's Green where there was a bit of a carnival on. We then crossed the Liffe over the O'Connell bridge to the Spire of Dublin which is just a big spire coming out of the ground that looks weird and was obviously a complete waste of money.

The Trinity college area is quite nice and just near there is the Molly Malone statue. Molly Malone is a fictional beautiful fishmonger who plied her trade on the streets of Dublin, but who died young, of a fever. Typicial of the Irish, believing in made-up stuff and they even celebrate Molly Malone day!

This trip re-affirmed to me that the coolest thing to do in Dublin is go to the Guiness storehouse which has an excellent tour and great views from the bar at the top of storehouse.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.244s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb