Irish Festival of Rugby - Day 1


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Cork » Cobh
April 10th 2010
Published: April 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

It was another beautiful day in Cobh today - the sun shining through the window as the alarms went off just after 7. The early start was not really appreciated by many but it takes a while to get this show underway and we wanted to get all the timing right for the first match. We’ve found that having too much time at the grounds is just as bad as having not enough and so to get the best out of the boys we have to run the schedule pretty tight.

The usual round of wake up calls went around and we soon had the boys down for breakfast - although I’m not entirely sure that they were all awake as they ordered their bacon and eggs. The long day of travel has taken its toll on them and despite a good night’s sleep they still looked pretty shattered. After breakfast we handed out all the clean playing kit once again, loaded them into the bus and just before 9 were off to the Middleton RFC for the day. Our numbers continue to grow and with Jim and Marie along as well we’re in the mid 30’s - Andrew Calvert will be joining us today as well - more supporters than players soon! We still have Deb and Lewis in tow and Charlie’s Grandparents have been staunch supporters all the way along. The more the merrier!

We got to the grounds right on time and soon had the bus unloaded and the boys walking down to the club. A festival here is nothing like what we have in Dubai - very little hype or promotion going on - just 4 rugby pitches, 18 teams and the rugby club making tea and scones! We sorted out the revised draw - one of the teams in our division had pulled out at the last minute so we were down to 5 teams only. A bit of a shame but it meant the boys had just 2 pool games today and another 2 games tomorrow followed by finals - such is life. We declined the offer of changing rooms - to be shared with the other 4 teams - and found a nice piece of grass along the side of the pitch to base ourselves on. The boys did a pitch side change into their warm-up kit and we started the process of psyching them up for the first game. We have been traditionally slow starters this tour but with only 12 minutes each way to play we cannot afford that luxury. Using some of the feedback from our video session we changed our focus slightly and some excellent work from Richard soon had the boys geared up and we were on.

The opponents for the first game were Heathfield and Waldron - an English club who looked to be very strong in the forwards. Sure enough from the first kick off our first impressions were proven right as they played a very physical game up front. Our boys were, however, up for the challenge and right from the start took it to them and matched them. It was a step up from what we are used to facing at home and exactly what we need to push our guys. Five minutes into the game a break from Sam Wild saw Ryan with ball in hand running at the defence. A couple of Rapallo sidesteps and jinks and they were confused and disjointed - he continued through for a 45 metre sprint and the first try of the game.

From the restart the opposition were hot on attack but some awesome defence saw them repelled again and again. Justin Calvert made a “body-on-the-line” try saving tackle and scrambling defence and an amazing snap kick from Matt Travers kept them from crossing the line. Ten minutes into the game and an opportunity presented itself - Ryen Amir dived on a loose ball to recover it, popped it for Greg who made 10 storming yards before laying the ball back; the forwards rucked over for quick ball and it went down the back line to Justin who although caught, forced the penalty 0 yeards from their try line. A quick tap and Jordan took the ball in, Robbie was on hand to recover straight away , made 5 yards, passed it to Callum - strong in support - who crossed the line for the second try of the game. Half time score 10-nil (no conversions in these games).

From the restart it was apparent they were not happy with the fact that they were 2 tries down. Their physicality intensified and we were a little flat out of the half time start. Good forward play from them saw them closing on our line when a huge hole opened on our normally stoic defence and they crossed for a try - 10-5. With that under their belts they stepped up the game even more and continued to apply pressure on our guys. We scrambled, tackled and held on as they tried every way they could to get through our line. Our resolve held and despite a last minute charge where they came within 10 yards of our line, our boys held out and at the final whistle it was still 10-5 to the Exiles. A much better performance from our guys and some good rugby starting to show again.

We had a break because of the cancelled game and just after 12, started the wind-up process once again. Our opponents this time were Middleton College - the local high school - who looked, again, to be a very physical side. We had lost a few players by now - Sam Wild(over his cold but still not up to the stress of sport), Callum (Neck still playing up), Lewis (chesty and can’t breathe properly)and Tom (knee injury flared up and needs ice). This was going to strain our numbers and so we had to lay a few boys out of position.

The opening whistle blew and the ball sailed to Jordan who made a brilliant take before storming back at the opposition. In the ensuing ruck we unfortunately coughed up the ball and had to defend before recovering the ball at a subsequent breakdown. From here it was truly text book rugby - 3 tight forward moves, quick ball each time, making 10 yards each time, before the ball went wide to the backs, right down the line to Henry the winger who danced and dazzled before sending it back inside, 2 passes and Collins was over for the first try. From the restart the game went back and forth - each side making small mistakes to give away possession numerous times. A line-out on their 10m line saw Greg , Matty, Jordan and Ryen combining again to muscle their way up the field. From a scrum on their 22 it was again text book stuff as our back line worked a planned move and the ball was out to Freddy - who is always a great finisher - and he was over in the corner to make it 10-nil.

From the restart, a knock-on by the Exiles gave Middleton and attacking opportunity and they capitalised on it - a quick pass down the blind side and it was 2 on 1 - over they went to bring the score back to 10-5 at half time. A few team changes were made to rest some of the players - Ryen retired hurt and so Jarrod had to fill in as the hooker - great work and much appreciated. By now we had Josh at number 8 and Jarrod in the front row - if this continues we’ll have the whole back line in there soon!

From the kick off, ruck and pass, Charlie saw a hole in their line and, with the ball in one hand, jinked and weaved his way through their defensive line in devastating fashion. Their full back, however, stood his ground and brought him down with feet to spare - they cleared and we were soon hot on attack again. The boys were patient in their build up, making controlled progress up the field until, when the opportunity presented itself, the ball was again down the line, looping and supporting saw Ryan again with space to run and he crossed for the third try - 15-5.

We had two more opportunities that didn’t quite get there - Charlie shutting down the fullback who had missed a high kick - forced the 5 metre scrum and despite good work out on the wing the ball was held up. A second similar attempt again saw us just short of the line despite some devastating runs from Jordan. Full time rolled around and the final score Exiles 15, Middleton 5.

Overall good rugby from our boys - classy stuff at times and a great team effort from them all. A big improvement on what we had seen against Swansea - our boys looking to play their style of rugby - not someone else’s - and capitalising on every opportunity. They have turned their loss around, taken a few lessons away and built on the weaknesses they saw - now you can’t ask for better than that can you?

So it was 25 happy boys and a bunch of happy supporters that were back on the bus by early afternoon for the trip back to town. We know the job is not yet finished but we’ve made a good start and have more confidence going into tomorrow.

We got the boys home and cleaned up - it’s a different environment on that bus when they haven’t showered at the grounds let me tell you! From there it was out into the beautiful Irish sunshine and a short stroll along the harbour front for some lunch. The boys then headed off to town (think very small town here) on the lookout for some likeable Irish lasses that they could spin a few yarns with! Not sure what the success rate was but I think they had a good time. Munster played Nothampton at 5:30 so it was into the bar and training video time - Heineken Cup Style.

Dinner was at the hotel and the boys then had another wander round - no more Irish lasses unfortunately, before a very early - 9pm - night for them all. They still have some unfinished business to attend to and need a good night’s sleep.

We’ll keep you updated via the usual texts and emails tomorrow as the day unfolds!






Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb