Beara Peninsula


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Cork » Beara Pen
August 10th 2008
Published: May 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

We spent two days on the Beara Pennisula. It rained a lot. However, we did have a couple of wonderful hikes where the sun would break through and everything would sparkle. In search of standing rocks/stone circles we went on a couple of walks, one that included three stone circles and a wonderful view of the ocean past the last circle and a great mossy forest at the beginning of the trail.

On the second day, we finally gave up and hiked up the side of a mountain along the coastal road. The way down included slipping and landed on a bed of thrones, almost being stuck on a ledge and lots of sliding in the mud. After exploring ways of drying out in the car including our packed lunch, we were able to drive the Healy Pass which was amazing. Like many state and national parks, roads and buildings in the USA, the Healy Pass was mostly built as WPA style project during the depression, an impressive undertaking with breath taking views. Healy Pass including warnings to the sheep by Fran and interesting offers made to me by a local farmer. Basically I think I could be a sheep farmer if I wanted. Maybe at some point I will reconsider the offer, it was a beautiful area.

If you get to Castletownbere, make sure you enjoy the crepes at the crepe stand in the downtown square, they were the highlight of our two dinners there.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Boat remainsBoat remains
Boat remains

I find it interesting that the remains of a boat look so much like the remains of a fish.
really wetreally wet
really wet

We finally gave in and hiked in the down pour.


Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb