Day 1


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Clare » Shannon
October 4th 2010
Published: October 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Landed in Shannon around 8:30 am--an hour earlier than scheduled. The clouds broke up just prior to our landing and we were able to have beautiful views of Ireland from the air. Picked up our rental car and were finally out of the airport around 10:30. We missed our first roundabout and ended up back at the airport. We were luckier on our second go around. Found the CarryGerry Country House with little trouble and it's terrific. By the time we got here, though, our sunshine was gone and the wind had really kicked up--sounded pretty eerie and cool from inside the house but took my breath away went I went out to the car to retrieve my backpack. We checked in and immediately took naps. We rallied by 1:30 and had tea and biscuits with our lovely hostess, Charlotte, who also gave us directions to Bunratty-our afternoon destination. It was a short distance away--15 minutes--and Ed was enjoying his first Guinness of the trip in no time at Durty Nelly's--the oldest pub in Ireland (maybe). It is right next door to the Bunratty Castle. Lots of tour buses outside so we didn't go in. Instead we walked around the village to stretch and get some exercise. On our way out of town we stopped at P.J. Clarke's Pub but were put off by the pristine tourist "Sheraton Inn"-feel and also, the European defeat of the U.S. golf team in the Ryder's Cup, which was all over the telly at the time. A better move was heading back to a country pub, The Honk, that we passed near our Country House on a boreen. Met four friendly gentleman and our lovely bartender, Abby. who filled us in on all kinds of Irish politics, economy, and other interesting tidbits. A lovely afternoon. We're back at the Country House and hoping to have a good night's sleep before heading north tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



4th October 2010

huh....
who is proof reading this blog? :) sounds like a good first day!
5th October 2010

Great Blog
I had to leave a comment so you know I am following you. Sounds like fun. . . keep the blogs coming. You are a great writer.

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 54; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb