Our Visit In Iceland


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland
July 15th 2008
Published: July 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Blue LagoonBlue LagoonBlue Lagoon

Rejuvenating our skin with white silica mud
The second leg of our trip took us to Iceland for a few days. We spent the first day recovering from our big flight and taking in the local sights of Reykajvik- doing a walking tour of the local area. The weather was great on first day - a shop assistant said that it was a very good day she was right as the last 2 days of our stay were wet and miserable but we still managed to cram in as much as we could.

Our second day we headed for the "Golden Circle" which encompasses Geyser , Gulfoss and pingvellir national park. Geysir was amazing, waiting for the hot water to bubble and explode from the ground to an amazing 30 metres high. From there we headed to Gulfoss and saw an equally amazing waterfall with water pounding over the edge. We are able to get quite close to the waterfall, I think in australia there would have been signs everywhere warning of the danger.
All 3 children fell asleep on the way to the national park which was a very peaceful drive and Brad and I were able to take in the scenery as we were not having to referree children. We arrived at the national park where we saw a rift valley ( where the two continental plates are moving apart at a rate of 2 cm each year.)

Our third day we headed for the Southwest in the miserable rain and fog. We assume the drive may have been spectacular however visibility was so poor we could not even see the car in front. (It was a quieter trip as I bribed the kids - one lolly for every 30mins of good behavior- it worked a treat until they felt sick in the tummy from the lollies.). We visited the Black sand beach at VIK, the boys touched their first glacier, and we stopped at the skogafoss waterfall where Brad and the boys walked to the top in the rain.

Our final day we headed down to the Blue Lagoon- geothermal pool. It was great- water tempertaure 38degC and air temp 10 degC , we were just happy it was not raining. The only negative was the children were required to wear floaties which Jake was not impressed with. We spent a couple of hours in the warm water,. The water is supposed to be great for the skin but not so good for the hair mine is still recovering. Before heading back to town we drove along the coast to see another section of the rift valley - where The North American and European continental plates are separating.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

how cute!!!how cute!!!
how cute!!!

Sitting outside the Tourist Info in Reykjavik
VIKVIK
VIK

Standing on the black volcanic sand beach


Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb