Blue Lagoon


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Reykjavík
July 29th 2012
Published: July 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Blue Lagoon is situated around 40 km from Reykjavik on the way to the airport Kevlavik.It s an outside swimmingpool, actually you only can sit and walk ,with warm water from the geysir system.Approx 35 degrees c. Next to the pool a kind of industrial complex to control everything.If the sun shines the blue is probably better than today with all the grey clouds. I visited the pool on my last day in Iceland. It s rather boring to sit and walk a bit in the warm water. Around the Blue Lagoon it looks like a moonlandscape.

Yesterday evening I went on a tour to see the tear in the American/Eurasion tectonic plates, a waterfall fed by the glaciers and the Gulfoss geysirs.Now you realise how bad it is for your character when you see too many things around the world.The waterfall was o.k. but when you ve seen the Iguazu in Brasil this one is rather small.The same with the geysirs. I saw better in New Zealand. The tectonic plates however were interesting.

On the 2 lane roads you often see bicycles.Rather dangerous but there is no other way when you want to bike

.Fortunately most of the Icelanders speak english rather well.their language is impossible to understand and when you hear all the names of the cities , villages and streets it is like reading a book of Arnodul Indridason, good Icelandic thriller author.

Untill 1969 their was no pork or chicken for sale in Iceland.The only agriculture Iceland has is growing grass for the cows, Sheep and horses. Pigs and chicken don t eat grass and it was too expensive to import. Nowadays you see slowly some experiments with growing grain but it s on small scale.The fresh vegetables in summer are grown in greenhouses warmed up with the geysir system. In winter they have to import for they don t need only heat but also a lot of light and that makes import cheaper than own products.

Went this evening again to an organ/violin concert in the same church. The organ player used this time a pageturner .I had never seen it before in practise. It was a lot of sad heavy music fo long dark days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



1st August 2012

You have seen so many things
Hi Bert, It's always a pleasure to get you travel experiences. And it's inharent with that experiences you have seen already more impressive "subjects" Nevertheless it must be nice get in a different environment more or less the same

Tot: 0.338s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0894s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb