Land Of Moon And Lagoon


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Grindavík
October 1st 2013
Published: October 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Oh.

My.

Gods.

(I know, I know. It’s the same joke, but it’s worth doing again I think).

We’re on one of the moons of Jupiter!!

Europa I’d say by the look of it. Don’t quite know how it happened. We were just driving down the 1, when all of a sudden, we were on Europa. That’s the last time I trust SatNav!

Strange alien rock formations. Pools of blue water (molten ice due to the tectonic forces as a result of Jupiter’s gravity). Thin oxygen atmosphere.

We’re in Grindavik, about 12 miles from Keflavic airport (which is handy as we have to be there at 6:00 in the morning).

Sky not looking too good at the moment, but the forecast is sunny for tomorrow and they say it’s going to start clearing around 2:00 in the morning. Not as panoramic a view of the sky (despite this being called the Northern Light Inn) and a huge geothermal power station in the back yard doesn’t help, but what they hey, we're not complaining.

But the weirdest thing of all here is the Blue Lagoon.

A huge geothermal complex of pools where the alien life forms congregate to bathe. Blue water. Two thirds geothermal seawater, one third geothermal fresh water. Over 200 new species of unique bacteria have been found here. Mud facials, volcanic scrub, a geothermal waterfall you can stand under. The whole pool is steaming (like a hot bath), with a bar in the pool (you have a chipped bracelet that you use to buy food and drink and settle up on the way out). It was like being in a dream, with beer.

Brilliant way to spend the last day. Just chilling in the strange blue water with a few other monkeys from different planets.

Then back to the hotel for a refreshing glass of Krap before dinner.

What a fantastic place Iceland is. I’d never really been that interested to come here, but how wrong was I? Lovely people. Beautiful wild landscape. The only downside I guess is it’s really expensive. Apart from fags (which are cheaper) and petrol (which is about the same), I’d say everything else is about double!!!!

Talking of money, here’s another interesting factoid.

When Iceland had their financial crash (thanks America), the Government took the decision not to bail out the banks with taxpayers' money, deciding that the banks' creditors should take the hit (rightly so). Instead, they concentrated on shoring up the welfare system, helping those who were hit the hardest by the crash. As a consequence, they are well on the road to recovery (unlike other countries).

This is exactly the opposite to UK. Bailing out the banks wiht taxpayerrs money and cutting welfare at the same time. Well done Britain. Makes you proud that our country is run by a bunch of millionaire Bullingdon club fart—heads doesn’t it (if you haven’t heard of the Bullingdon club, look it up and weep)?

So yeah, Iceland. Wow.

It’s enough to drive one to write poetry . . . . .


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb