Eruptions and destruction through nature in Iceland


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » South
April 3rd 2010
Published: August 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

On the road, we saw a lot of testimonies of the power of nature. Even better, we saw it live! Remember, the volcano Eyjafjallajökull was erupting at the time when we were on the island.

Since Iceland contains a lot of volcanoes, the history of Iceland is characterised by eruptions. Maybe I should have said "even the history of Europe", because there are voices saying that even the French revolution has a connection with a volcanic eruption on Iceland. Due to the eruption of the Laki volcano in 1783, there was a change of weather patterns, which caused disruption of the economy in northern Europe. This with a result of food poverty, which is told to be an influence of the French revolution.

I've got the impression that the Icelandic people kind off "adapted their behaviour" due to the eruptions. They know that these kind of things can happen.
Though I have to admit that a lot of local people to whom we spoke about it, were a little bit nervous about the possibility of an eruption of the Katla. The problem itself would not be the eruption, but the fact that the eruption would be under a glacier. That means that -in case of an eruption- the ice of the glacier would melt down and cause huge flooding. But, from what I've heard they're quite well prepared for these kind of things. For example, the population of Vik have practised evacuation schemes in which they can reach a safe shelter in about 30 minutes.
Seismometers and GPS units are placedaround volcanoes, so that they can monitor signs of a possible eruption.

While we were in Iceland, and our guide Haukur told us about the possible effects of an eruption, we got also got a little nervous. We didn't know that it even might be possible that a volcano would stop all the air-traffic. When I was back in Belgium, I told about this to my colleagues and friends. They laughed about it and said things like that would be impossible. Until April 15 2010 when the Eyjafjallajökull erupted at another place and caused the shut-down of the air-traffic in a great part of Europe...

At the photos, you can see some signs at the road. You can even see the remaining of some bridges destroyed by floodings, caused by eruptions.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb