Ice paradise


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » South
August 7th 2010
Published: August 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Once again, waking up in the middle of know where we were excited to do our glacier hike! The bad part of the morning was that we were going to be saying goodbye to our CS friend Alex who had been with us for the first three days of travel. We went our own ways at the Skaftafell NP just before we started out hike and he was planning to hitchhike back to Reykjavik for his flight back to the US tomorrow.

Well to our hike.. Seven hours of walking on ice was a different experience for sure. Wearing these boot things with spikes sticking out all the place and pick in hand we headed off. We were quite surprised by how easy it was actually to walk on the ice but going up and down the crevasses was quite difficult at times and also we needed ropes to assist us with these parts. It was very fun to be going up and down over and over again of ice which is up to 400 meters below us, 600 meters in other places. Only one scare for the day which was when we were walking along a side of pack of ice, below us we heard a large crack and then ice fell below us. It must have been another pack of ice under the one we were standing on so our tour guide quickly turned us around and headed back. But overall it was a fantastic experience to do this and glad we did the long tour.

Well after this we headed back past the glacier lagoon for another look, still amazing.. and kept going for another two hours before reaching the small town of Höfn to find a camp for the night and cook our dinner. Another very interesting day and the glacier hike is a great too do if only once. Very interesting.



Additional photos below
Photos: 99, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb