Cruising around the south


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » South
August 6th 2010
Published: August 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Around IcelandAround IcelandAround Iceland

Remains of a bridge after a volcano eruption..
After waking up in the middle of know where once again we headed to the waterfall Skogafoss which was 5 minutes away. Another massive wall of water thundering to the ground and this is the second most famous in Iceland. After a hike up to the top of this we hit the road for two hours heading to the massive glacier of Vatnajökull which takes up 8% of the whole country, biggest in Europe. We managed to do a hike here and planned our glacier hike for the next day. It will be our first touristy paid thing to do in Iceland but we are of course unable to do that by ourselves so a tour it is but can be a once in a life time chance really. The hike we done was for only 2 ½ hours but we got a nice view overlooking a glacier.
From here we headed for a short drive to see the glacier lagoon before calling it a night. Well a must mention is the drive between the Skaftfell NP and the glacier lagoon, it is fantastic scenery! Glaciers coming down from the mountains which seem to be close to hitting the road. Of the top of my head I think we got to see 8 of them in a drive that is 2 hours max. Amazing area to drive with all the scenery on one side of the road and nothing at all on the other.

So the glacier lagoon, like something you would see on another planet. Glaciers floating around, seals swimming and birds feeding in the water.. A very interesting area to see and get up close to the breakaway packs of ice. It can be a little touristy here but quite easy to walk for ten minutes and have a nice place for yourself to enjoy the scenery of the lagoon with ice floating, glaciers in the background and snow capped mountains behind this.

Well this is a quick summary since we are very sleepy and the days are long trying to cruise around and with it never getting dark the day slips past and without knowing it is soon 11pm.. To much to do in Iceland, two weeks seems to be not enough!



Additional photos below
Photos: 92, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb