Along the North coast


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » North
August 11th 2010
Published: August 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Waking up overlooking the magnificent fjord and bird crap all over the tent and car was an interesting way to start the morning. We had planned to do a whale watching tour in the morning but further investigation informed us that the bigger whales had been gone for 1 ½ months and only can see dolpins which we have done before so no need to spend 50 Euro on that.

We headed away to Akureyri which is the bigger city of the North and is like all the other places located in a magnificant location. We actually prefer this city than the capital Rekeyvik as it is a lot nicer with the buildings and things to do. We checked out the strange looking church and had the local ice cream (the main thing the tourist people told us to do in the city).

From the city we headed for about 30 minutes until we come to a spot for a hike which was recommended to us by a fellow couchserfer. It was only a two hour hike up and back but it is a really nice spot except for the mossies that were driving everyone mad. The end target is a mountain lake and fish jumping around all over the place. Fisherman were coming and going also with bags of the arctic fish they have been catching.

We decided to look for a camping spot for the night next and found ourselves heading north way of the tourist trail to a small fishing town called.. Well I can’t even find what it is called, that is how small it is. But they have a camping site there so we set up and headed further north to a hot pool which was recommended to us by a tourist lady. It was 17Km along a dirt road just next to the ocean and in a fantastic location. We were not the only ones to find this as people were coming and going but mostly about four people with us for the three hours we spent lazing around in the water. Sea on one side and mountains on the other with 24 hours daylight. A great way to finish of our day!




Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0877s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb