Detifoss, Setifoss, and Krafla/Iceland


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » North » Mývatn
August 14th 2012
Published: September 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We went to a waterfall. It was the biggest in Europe. There was another one. It was kind of little. We climbed rocks. It was fun. We went to a volcanoe. I had water in it. It was fun. We went to a lava field. There was a lot of rocks. It was fun. - Sofia Journal Entry Aug 14, 2012

This morning we did not get up to early, but took off for some other really cool places. Daddy had told me that our 2 days in Myvatn would be filled with lots of places that had cool landscapes or seemed like it was from a different planet, just like yesterday, and he was right.

Our first stop were to see two incredible waterfalls. Daddy decided that we would see it from the "better" side even if this meant driving down a dirt road for a long time. While it was heck of a bumpy road it was kind of fun (at least for me) but we could not go to fast. However, daddy was very gald we went on this one.
__________________________________________________________________________________________


After more than 1 hour, we arrived at a parking lot. At first
DetifossDetifossDetifoss

Europe's Most Powerful Waterfall
I could not see it, but could hear it. There was a huge canyon to the right and we hiked down to the left. It was an easy hike down and there it was. A very loud and powerful waterfall. It was the most powerful waterfall in Europe. It was really cool.

We then went on a hike over some rocks which was a lot of fun. I picked up some flowers on the way. W then arrived at a very long waterfall. We both even liked this one better than Setifoss. This one was called Detifoss. I had fun with daddy there and playing with the flowers I had picked on the way. We really had a great time there, but then made our way back to the car.
____________________________________________________________________________________________


After the long bumpy ride back to ring road, we drove back toward our guesthouse and then turned off the road to get to Krafla. Our first stop was a crater filled with water. It was really cool looking. Then we wen to the main lava fields. There were so many cool looking landscapes in such a small area. After having a hot dog at a hot dog stand (how lucky was I) we passed thes big mounds of green. They looked really cool. Then we passed these hills of really cool colors - red, yellow, orange with mud pits and interesting smells. Kinda like the dorito eggs I smelled the day before, but not as strong. Then we went from the bright colors that looked like mars, to dark black lava fields that looked more like the moon or something. I had a lot of fun hiking around. Of course, I did some hiking and sometimes carried by daddy on his neck.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________


Then it was back to our hotel. Daddy actually went on a call for work for about an hour while I watched a movie. We then went back to the pizza place (Daddy's Pizza). I gave them some old clothes to donate to anyone and they were so thankful, they gave me a free soda. We then went back to our little house and talked to the other guests. We had a long driving day the next day, so we went to bed a little early.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

From Mars to the MoonFrom Mars to the Moon
From Mars to the Moon

What cool landscape
My FlowersMy Flowers
My Flowers

Setifoss
DetifossDetifoss
Detifoss

Europe's Largest Waterfall
DetifossDetifoss
Detifoss

So Loud


18th September 2012

Amazing landscapes!
Your panoramic photo is fabulous! If that waterfall were any place more accessible, it would be mobbed. How lucky that the two of you are getting to visit such amazing places. Good travels!

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb