EASTERN ICELAND


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » East » Egilsstadir
July 30th 2011
Published: July 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Djupivogur, Iceland
Today we approached Iceland for the first time. We boarded a small boat headed to the island of Papey. It is privately owned and farmed by one family since 1902. They don’t live on the island but there are cabins where someone who really wants to get away form it all can vacation. They raise Icelandic Sheep but that wasn’t the reason I wanted to go there. It is a major breeding ground for puffins and seals. We donned our life vests and motored out for about ½ hour before we slowed and drifted by a very small island where seals breed. The big bulls kept a wary eye on us while a few of the younger animals were in the water looking for fish.
There were hundreds it not thousands of puffins flying about, floating on the sea, diving for sand eels or standing guard over their burrows. They are surprisingly small birds, slightly larger than a pigeon. Their flight pattern is distinctive as their wings are fairly short and they have to flap a lot to get around. In order to take off they walk and flap across the water looking for all the world as if they are doing the breaststroke. We saw fulmars with chicks and a snow bunting, oystercatchers and a snipe. It was a very successful day of birding.
We docked and wandered around the island for over an hour. The air was sweet and clear. Varieties of small wildflowers blanketed the ground. Pinks and purples, yellows and oranges and the white cotton flower (feels just like cotton) and even dandelions cover the fields.
We visited a tiny church. It could probably hold nine people on a good day. We heard about the elves and the “hidden people”, folks just like us who hang out at the Kastali (‘castle’), an impressive rock.
Although the day was gray and drizzly and the temperature a steamy 52 degrees I enjoyed every minute.
On returning to the ship I enjoyed a hot bath and a nap. When I got up for trivia the fog had rolled in. Up in the Crow’s Nest you couldnot see anything beyond the windows. We were scheduled to depart at 5:00 but at 5:30 there were still over 200 guests still on shore waiting for tender service.
Around 6:30 all were aboard and we started our trip around the southern tip of Iceland to Reykjavik.
I really enjoy my dinner companions. Ron and Connie are from San Louis Obispo, Jenny and Rich life in Texas now, Harriet and Leon lived in NJ but now hang their hats in Florida and I can’t remember where Jean is from. All have a wicked sense of humor and are filled with interesting stories. We sometimes meet in the Crow’s Nest for Happy Hour although we are always happy.
Dinner tonight was Duck Pate, Potato Soup and Beef Wellington and my wonderful Cinnamon ice cream
The seas have been gentle although the days have been grey. There is a gentle rocking that makes for a wonderful nights sleep. Sunset was after 11:00pm but we haven’t seen the sun in days.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.292s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0839s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb