Name three famous Hungarians... OK - two.


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Northern Hungary » Eger
August 3rd 2008
Published: August 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

At Keleti StationAt Keleti StationAt Keleti Station

They still travel 'hard class' around here
The only Hungarian I know is Zoltan 'Paul' Viski, guitarist with The Jazz Traitors. He's not really Hungarian - he lives in Ealing. Before setting off I asked him what I should take with me as a gift when I visit some of his relatives. 'Curtains' came the reply. That's Hungarian humour.

7.00am. Terminal 5 at Heathrow. Now there's a concept. But actually the chaos seems to have subsided at last, although the staff are understandably jumpy, having been blamed by the management for all the cock-ups. We arrive at Budapest 2 1/2 hours later and are whisked to the Keleti Station for the journey to Eger on the fringes of Bukk National Park. The train is a standard Soviet-era job with brown vinyl seats and luggage racks bolted at a slight angle to the horizontal. There's no dining car or even anyone coming round with a trolley.

At the beautiful modern hotel we dined that evening on tasteless fish in soggy batter and some overcooked veg. Not as bad as it sounds, to be fair.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1154s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb