Budapest, Hungary


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest » Buda
August 28th 2010
Published: September 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Chain BridgeChain BridgeChain Bridge

This was view from my bed out the window.
Day 12-Budapest, Hungary
8/28/10-Saturday

We docked this morning early. I knew we were docking due to the way the boat was motoring. We were lucky in that our room was on the port side and when we looked out our window we were seeing the best view of Buda, the part of the city to the west. In fact, the view from my bed was right at the Chain Bridge with the Buda Castle (Royal Palace) in the background. At night, the bridge is well lighted creating a beautiful view.

We started the day with a city tour by bus. We stopped at the neo-gothic Matthias Church. The church was named after King Matthias. Legend has it that, in the thirteenth century, he was called to return to Budapest by his mother using a raven with a ring in its beak. The raven-with-ring is now part of the family crest. Look for it in the photos.

The church was located on a ridge overlooking the Danube and Pest. We had a clear view of our ship, the River Concerto and the Parliament Building.

This was to be a busy day. The driving tour took us from 9:00
Matthias ChurchMatthias ChurchMatthias Church

Look for the Ravan with the ring.
to 1:00pm. After driving around Buda we crossed the Danube to the Pest side. We drove out to Hero’s Park and then back to the center of Pest. We stopped at St. Stephen’s Basilica, Budapest’s largest church. It was only a short walk from here to return to the ship.

After lunch, we had the afternoon off. Jackie and I took advantage of this by doing a full afternoon of touring by ourselves. We took a subway out to the renown “House of Terror.” This building was home to both the Nazis and later the communist secret police. During the German era, nearly 400,000 Jewish people were deported to Auschwitz, many thousands were killed in the streets, and others executed in this building. Making matters worse, the secret police continued the use of the building to torture and execute Hungarians during the communist period.

During the day, we saw many weddings. I guess Saturday is the favorite day for marriage.

Tomorrow, we have another day on our own. We want to buy tickets for a tour of the Parliament early plus Jackie and I plan to take the funicular up the Buda ridge again.

Stay around for more…





Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

King StephenKing Stephen
King Stephen

He brought Christianity to Hungary and rightly worshiped here.
HeroHero
Hero

Here are some friends from the ship. Front row-Mary, Jackie and another Mary. Back row-me, Hank, Judy and Randy.
Love LocksLove Locks
Love Locks

We first saw this trend while traveling in Italy. You simply show your true love by sealing it with a lock. I don't know if any are removed after the breakups...
Hungarian ParlimentHungarian Parliment
Hungarian Parliment

This is the third largest parlliment building in world.
River ConcertoRiver Concerto
River Concerto

There is our ship. Long and sleek. We did 10 nights aboard.
TD and JDTD and JD
TD and JD

Now there's a cute couple.
St. Stephens BasilicaSt. Stephens Basilica
St. Stephens Basilica

This church is located in Pest. It is largest in Hungary.
St. Stephens BasilicaSt. Stephens Basilica
St. Stephens Basilica

All churches in Europe are spectacular. They can be repetitive however. I made many photos like this but now can't remember which is which.
BeggerBegger
Begger

I think this is a hungry Hugarian.
House of TerrorHouse of Terror
House of Terror

Note the photos along the bottom of this picture. They went all the way around the building. They are just some of the victims of this sad place.
House of TerrorHouse of Terror
House of Terror

More victims on an inside wall.
WeddingWedding
Wedding

Just a bunch of strangers but it looks as if they are happy. For now, anyway.


6th September 2010

Budapest
great shots, again, Tommy - your hungry man had a very nice warm coat on, so he must not be staving?!? Also, it is AMAZING that you got that entire wedding party to pose for you.... LOL! I'm sure you were standing behind the real person taking the pix!! Was your river cruise a "Viking Boat" - I'm on their mailing list and I've seen this same tour you are on - the boat is beautiful and I'm sure you enjoyed the cruise! - Keep em coming...
7th September 2010

nearing the end of a wonderful journey
I've enjoyed your trip very much....I wonder if the "movie" will be as good as the "book"? That's supposed to be funny. I'll keep reading until the end of your blogs. Your pix are excellent
7th September 2010

buda-pest
So interesting to add pictures of the wedding and the hungry hungerian.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb