Up to the Monasteries


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Thessaly » Meteora
June 30th 2012
Published: June 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Heading up to MeteoraHeading up to MeteoraHeading up to Meteora

You can just make out St. Nicholas on the rock to the lower right. That was my first stop.
Set off in the morning for the long hike around the monasteries. What makes this worth not having a car is the fact that you can follow the monopatia, or the monk's paths that wind through the forest. These were once secretive routes that connect all of the major monasteries, and, as the name implies, were followed by the monks. Meteora is a series of monasteries that these monks built on the very tops of giant rocks in order to escape the large-scale bloodshed that was happening when Byzantine Greece was collapsing in the 14th century. Hermit monks had already been living in caves in this area long before then.

So coming to Meteora you have to be prepared to do some serious hiking; that is, if you want to use the monopatia. Most people just zip up and down in cars, and of course there are the giant tour buses flooded with people. But actually going into the forest makes Meteora come alive, mainly because you gain a deep-set appreciation for the enormity of this undertaking. How did monks build these monasteries in the first place when it's so hard to get to them?

Well, really, that's the
Impressive Rocks Impressive Rocks Impressive Rocks

This is from St. Nicholas.
point. The monasteries were supposed to be out of the way and hard to reach. Monks escape from the world for a reason. And for the traveller, thank God for that, because this is one of the most beautiful places around. Where else do you get to climb up cliffs to reach giant monasteries? A wonderful day, then, though pretty hot. Also bought an icon of St. Christopher, who is the patron saint of travellers (Christ-opher literally means the "bearer of Christ," since he put the baby Jesus on his shoulders to cross a stream). I think this is appropriate. Tomorrow is another day in the area - though I'm headed to nearby Kalambaka.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

View to KastrakiView to Kastraki
View to Kastraki

Again from St. Nicholas.
St. Nicholas St. Nicholas
St. Nicholas

From the monk's path just up the road.
MonopatiaMonopatia
Monopatia

The monks would follow this exact same path.
Varlaam MonasteryVarlaam Monastery
Varlaam Monastery

Named after Varlaam, a monk who lived on this rock.
Money Tree along MonopatiaMoney Tree along Monopatia
Money Tree along Monopatia

Should've stopped and grabbed some.
The Grand MonasteryThe Grand Monastery
The Grand Monastery

This is the largest one of them all; and I think has the most steps up!
St. Barbara St. Barbara
St. Barbara

This one can only be gotten to by a wooden bridge. You can just see it in the picture.


Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0831s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb