SYROS ISLAND


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Syros
September 17th 2008
Published: September 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

SYROSSYROSSYROS

SYROS
The name Syros emanates rather from or that it meant “rocky” in ancient . The hostage reports him in the “Odyssey” as . The archaeological discoveries that came in the light in the dues of passed century in , in North-easternly the island, are dated from the 2.800 B.C., the ' period of of culture. The discoveries are graves, figurines, vessels and utensiles that now are found shared in the National Archaeological MuseumIn Syros been born the archaic philosopher, natural and astronomer , in the means of 6th century B.C. that period, existed two cities in Syros. In current and more specifically in the region Small pine tree- and the other in . Later, 5th with 4th century B.C., Syros is member of Athenian alliance, while after a period of agitations at 3rd century B.C., the island once again at 2nd century B.C. the next century becomes important coastal node. ForFor the next centuries, the island constitutes permanent objective of pirates and is decreased considerably his population. At the 8th A.D. of century, begins the construction of her settlement Syros. In 1207 were occupied by their and in the 360 years of Occidental possession, local in the catholic doctrine. In 1566 were occupied by their , but at the all period of Ottoman domination were found under the protection of Priest and France. In 1617 however, the Turkish fleet destroys the island. At the 16th up to the 18th century, population was roughly 2500 Catholics and 150-200 Orthodoxe.
Big commercial, industrial and cultural growth knew Syros at the 19th century and more specifically , that was created by refugees , , , and Cretes. The catholic influence is limited also Syros strengthens economically the fight of Revolution. In the means of century, it is already found in the apex her economic and cultural acne, that it keeps up to tThe possession, the famine 1941 and the bombardments, destroy the socio-economic life of island. The effort of reconstruction, once more in the history of Syros of many centuries, begins with the release.






Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb