Santorini Sightseeing


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini
May 23rd 2011
Published: June 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hi all. Just when you thought it was over !!!
I found a blog that I had saved but forgot to publish - so here it is.
We set off this morning to visit Kamira and have a look at a friend of Michael and Jan's, Kati-na's, church.
Firstly, we drove up to Mesa Vouno. This road was a very steep, narrow and winding and Mike did a terrific job negotiating the hairpin bends. The views from the top were fantastic but it was very windy and quite cold up there.
We then visited Vourvoulos - Maria's residence- Mike and Jan stayed in a villa at Maria's last week.
We then drove along the bottom road and back up to the top to visit Oia. We had lunch at a restaurant called, the Seagull which was overlooking the Caldera and the views were spectacular.
We walked along through the village and noticed that there was a helicopter hovering overhead and that there was a great commotion along the cliff face. We later learned that there had been a landslide and that a pathway had collapsed taking a donkey and it's rider with it. Sadly, they did not survive the fall.
We
006006006

The view from the top of the mountain
then returned to the Hotel for a swim in the pool and had a supper of cheese, wine and biscuits at our room while we watched the sun go down - lovely.
Don't forget to scroll down to below the ads so as you can see all the photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

009009
009

The narrow and winding road
030030
030

A small port which was along the bottom road
073073
073

The landslide.
070 Looking down from Oia to Amoudi070 Looking down from Oia to Amoudi
070 Looking down from Oia to Amoudi

This is one of the donkey paths. Not the one that collapsed though


Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 74; dbt: 0.1121s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb