Santorini....literally to die for.


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini
July 21st 2010
Published: July 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Breathtaking...amazing...pretty much there are no words to do this place justice. It is unreal. Santorini is one of those places that you see incredible pictures of in brochures and on postcards. Whitewashed buildings with bright blue trim all perched precariously on top of one another, only these ones are doing it 100+ meters above the water on the edge of a volcano crater.

We stayed in the heart of Santorini....Fira. Fira is very much a laid back beach town with quads and mopeds everywhere. The roads are so narrow that everyone is either on those or walking on foot. We spent the first day taking it all in exploring the quaint and charming town and talking to some of the locals. We also ate at this amazing restaurant call Naoussa...it was delicious!

The next day we hit the old port which is located below the main town of Fira, and there are three ways to get up or down: take a cablecar, walk 500+ steps, or let a donkey do the walking for you. We attempted to do the donkey ride but it was pure chaos. So we opted for a quick picture with the donkies and carried on.
Group PhotoGroup PhotoGroup Photo

Walking in the town of Fira.


Later we headed to the black sand beach in Perissa. It really felt secluded like you were on your own little tropical island. Little umbrellas lined the beach. So relaxing and beautiful. The water was perfect no crashing waves just calm aegean sea. Its funny how the days and times kinda all blur together and in that moment you just sit there and reflect on your life. I could've layed there forever.

Perissa was just what we needed before taking a bus to Oia to watch the world famous sunsets. Oia is a very small town despite this the architecture of the buildings is awesome. It's known for it's blue domed churches which of course we got tons of pictures of. Its narrow streets contain a wonderful assortment of shops and cafes. We managed to explore a little before heading to the castle look out point to watch the sunset.

To be continued.....




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

SunsetSunset
Sunset

Oia is known for its spectacular sunsets. So pretty.
PricelessPriceless
Priceless

Even the stray dog jumped up to watch the sunset. It was that good.
Naoussa RestaurantNaoussa Restaurant
Naoussa Restaurant

Yummy greek salad with a glass of wine. So delicious we went there two days in a row. hehe.
SmileSmile
Smile

Pretty view.
DomesDomes
Domes

Famous blue roofed church domes with the aegean sea behind.
OiaOia
Oia

Exploring the town.
A true island feel.A true island feel.
A true island feel.

Perissa...black sand beach. Could've stayed there forever!
Perissa BeachPerissa Beach
Perissa Beach

Not a care in the world....playing in the water just like kids again. So peaceful.


Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb