Santorini - the Salt and Pepper Island


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini
May 29th 2010
Published: May 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

When you fly over the island of Santorini, it looks like a field of pepper sprinkled with salt on the highest and lowest points. The iconic white cities of Fira and Oia are the largest, with other beach-hugging cities spanning quite a size also. If you fly in on the low side and expect the island to be relatively flat considering what you’ve just seen. If you’re lucky enough to stay up on the caldera, it isn’t until your bus winds its way up to the hotel that you realize the opposite side is literally perched on top of huge cliffs that look out over the neighboring islands. It is only once we walk into the hotel and look out their reception window that we see this view. It is gorgeous and vast. Not to mention innately calming. Once we’d taken in the view we realized our hotel, too, was stunning.

Aptly names Suites of the Gods, it was originally a winery, the owner turned it in to the only Spa resort on the island just three years ago. We were picked up from the airport in our own little shuttle bus, were personally shown through all the hotel facilities (just 21 rooms) and given a tour of the spa. We took advantage of the spa on the last day; I had a ‘chocolate embrace’ body rub and wrap (with hot liquid Brazilian cocoa) - awesome! All the rooms are built in to the side of the cliffs and are quite cave like. The views are amazing. I don’t think I’ve ever really watched an entire sunset before, but it’s hard not to be drawn towards them each night on the island.

When I told people I was going to the Greek Islands, not one person mentioned that you aren’t allowed to flush toilet paper down the toilets in Greece. Instead, you have to place it in a bin beside the toilet. They’re even more strict about this on Santorini. This minor annoyance doesn’t even register on your radar because of the amazing views, food, beaches and friendly locals that you are constantly encountering. Nonetheless, considering this is a travel blog, consider yourself informed.

After a small mishap on the first day (missing our morning flight from Athens and having to wait six hours for the next argh my poor time planning for a change) the hotel arranged for us to hire a quad bike for the three days and by the afternoon we were burning around on the countryside getting orientated. The restaurant at our hotel was amazing, too. The first night Ed had some of the best chicken he’s ever had and I, hands down, had the best soufflé I’ve ever tasted. And hell we ordered that damn soufflé every night we were there. Each night the artistic patterns on the plate were so different, it was a really nice touch.

The second day on Santorini we headed to the ‘black’ beach at Perissa. Because of the volcano on the island, the beaches are either coloured black or red, with one white beach. The soft pebbles felt great underfoot but made it quite difficult maneouvering in and out of the water. Basically, you look like a douche but they feel fantastic (so much better than that irksome grainy sand- sorry Australia, still love you lots). The water was fairly cold due to it still being a month off Summer and the breeze throughout the Greek islands is there too. Luckily the sun was beating down so we had great, enjoyable weather for the three days.

Ed’s speed addiction that was sated in Amsterdam kicked in again on the island. We hired a jet ski at Perissa and sped out across the waves for ten minutes. It was well worth it and the next day we hired one EACH. The spa manager at our hotel told us she had not had a bad meal since she had been living on the island- it was a big call but definitely something we could imagine after our delicious lunch. Again, it’s hard to resist the Greek dishes and we even snuck in some more French crepes… Of all things, we had Mexican for dinner; again, almost all the restaurants have gorgeous views. Before dinner though, we took a look around the capital city Fira, with its typical white buildings and colourful roves and doors. There were a lot of jewelry stores in Fira, so stunning and unique. There was even a bar that had a VB sign hanging outside. Bizarrely, again, Ed ran into one of his friends from work. That made three we ran into during our travels.

Day two and we hit the beaches again, this time at another black beach, Kamari. It was more ‘touristy’ than Perissa, busier and more expensive, but still beautiful and relaxing. That afternoon there was a wedding held at the hotel, but we still didn’t notice people milling about. That’s the weird thing about the hotel- despite the fact it was fully booked, we hardly saw more than a few people walking around. Before our last delicious hotel dinner, we watched the sun set on our European holiday for 2010. Can’t wait to come back and explore some more exciting places together. Now it’s time for my eight days in Athens, with a Mediterranean cruise in the middle and days in London on the end. Hopefully this beautiful sunny weather continues to shine through!

Much love to you all xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



30th May 2010

roughing it
Hi Miss Alyse-grace and Edward, well I guess someone has to do it all!! and you want to still go back, what a cheek!!! what gorgeous sunsets, you are both so truly blessed to spend these wonderful moments together with many more to come, hug and kisses Mum

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb