Around Santorini


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini » Fira
July 6th 2012
Published: July 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

A wonderful day around the island - though brutally hot, topping out at 40 C (what is that in fahrenheit?). Started with a taxi down to one tip of the island, Akrotiri. This is home to the famous archeological site. Akrotiri, back in its day during the 1600s BC, was one of the great cities of the world, and had established trading routes all throughout the Meditteranean. It also produced some of the great artwork of the world. But it was horribly decimated by a giant earthquake and volcanic eruption, and never really recovered after that. At Akrotiri, a lot like at Pompeii just outside of Naples, you can see volcanic ash mixed about in the ruins.

What's also nice about Akrotiri is that it's completely covered, meaning that the Greek government was smart enough to build a giant roof over the entire site. Walking around without this would have been brutal. After the site I went down to Akrotiri beach and walked up the coast to the famous Red Beach, which is red because of the volcanic rocks it's a product of. Had a great lunch of fish right up against the sea. From Akrotiri took the bus back
Broken Stairs Broken Stairs Broken Stairs

Interesting to think that these might've been broken by the ancient earthquake.
to Fira, had a coffee break for a couple of hours, and then went through the Museum of Prehistoric Thera (which is another name for Santorini). This is where the famous wall paintings from Akrotiri are held.

Other than that, had a dinner of moussaka, wine, and olives with a great view over Fira, and then watched the sunset with a yogurt and honey. A perfect end to a great day. It's nice, tomorrow my ferry for Crete doesn't leave until 6 in the evening, so I have more than enough time to continue traveling around Santorini. Thinking of heading up to Oia, another town just up the coast.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Storage RoomStorage Room
Storage Room

Archeologists actually found storage vessels that still had barley and other grains in them. Awesome!
Uneven Tan Uneven Tan
Uneven Tan

I think I've worn my sandals one too many days.
Akrotiri Wall Paintings Akrotiri Wall Paintings
Akrotiri Wall Paintings

Other wall paintings are in Athens, which I saw at the Archeological Museum a couple of weeks ago. Very impressive for 1600 BC.
Detail of Blue MonkeyDetail of Blue Monkey
Detail of Blue Monkey

Shows that Akrotiri had connections with Africa, just South of here.


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.079s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb