Santorini - Oia


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini »  Ia
May 25th 2011
Published: May 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday 25th May 2011

Pat popped out to the Carrefour first thing to get some bread rolls for our breakfast. We had this and packed up our stuff. We were due to move rooms this morning. I spoke to reception and the other room wasn't ready yet so we left our stuff and went for a walk.

We left the hotel and went to the Museum of Prehistoric Thira just up the road, entrance fee €3 each. As Greek museums go not bad and tells a lot about the city they are still excavating at Akrotiri at the other end of the island, which is not open at the moment because of an accident in 2005.

After this as we were next to the bus station decided to pop to the northern town of the island, Oia - pronounced Eea - it was about 1110 and the next bus was 1130. It arrived and the usual chaos ensued of people getting on and off. The price is €1.60 per person and takes about 20 minutes or so.

We arrived at Oia and wandered around taking in the houses clinging to the side of the caldera and the picturesque views in all sorts of directions.

We spotted the maritime museum and had a wander round here, entrance €3 each.

The island is still busy as hell and today we counted 5 cruise ships near the old port.

We had lunch in a little cafe by the bus station, we shared a mixed Gyros with some salad and drinks. Very pleasant.

Then back on the bus to Thira and back to the hotel and find our new room.

We sorted a few things out then went for a walk down the road to find some accommodation for tomorrow night. After a couple of stops we found the Phillipion to our price range and taste €60 per night including breakfast. So that was us set up again.

Then back to one of the tours offices to book a boat tour for tomorrow. Pat choose a visit to the volcano and hot springs lasting a couple of hours in the afternoon starting at 2.30.

Then popped in to Carrefour and back to the room 4 o'clock.

Early evening we went out to sort our next ferry and went up to the office we had used earlier, but they didn't do ferry bookings and were advised to use the main office in the square which we did.

We have decided to visit Naxos next and booked a ferry for Saturday 28th May, with Blue Star ferries on Blue Star Paros at 1530 from Thira arriving Naxos town 1730 - €17.50 each. We have also booked accommodation for a couple of nights in the town to get us started.

So we will have a boat trip tomorrow, a visit to the other end of the Island Friday and leave Saturday.







Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0639s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb