Still in Rhodes


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Rhodes
June 30th 2011
Published: June 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Rhodes TownRhodes TownRhodes Town

The grounds of the archeological museum
Wednesday 29th June, 2011

Like yesterday we had returned and got settled in the room and we didn't bother going out again.

Thursday 30th June, 2011

Up for breakfast at the usual time and readied ourselves to go out for a walk.

We left at 1045 and ambled along the harbour. We went in to the Old Town via the Arnaldo gate, near the Marine gate, and headed straight into the Archaeological Museum. We had visited it a few days ago but hadn't done the place justice as we were tired at the time. It was well worth the second visit. The museum is higgledy piggledy with rooms all over the place but is located in some wonderful buildings that are part of the street of knights. That in itself makes the place fascinating, but then you have all the artifacts and antiquities as well.

We spent several hours in the museum and we both enjoyed the visit. There is a lot of information about the history surrounding the objects and the labelling is pretty good, which is fairly unusual for a Greek museum.

We came out and walked through the old town heading for
Rhodes TownRhodes TownRhodes Town

Recreation of Ottoman mansion in the Archeological museum
the Pizza Hut which we had seen yesterday, for some lunch. We shared a pizza and had some Cokes. Reasonable value at €23.40.

I had wanted to have a closer look at the walls of the old city on the south and western side. So after lunch we continued around in an anti clockwise direction until we had walked all the way around.

The sheer size and scale of the walls is quite amazing when you consider the era that it was built in. The fact that it has also survived so long as well as it has is also incredible.

We returned to the room shortly after 3 o'clock.

After relaxing for the afternoon we decided to take a walk into the old town. We left at 8 o'clock and went in through St. John's gate which we hadn't used before.

This part of the town going clockwise is a little off the beaten track and was interesting to see the "real" side of the town. In places it is run down but you can't get very far away from the history as it is all over the place. From Ancient Greek, Roman, the
Rhodes TownRhodes TownRhodes Town

More Ottoman buildings in the archeological museum
Knight's of St. John, the Ottoman empire and even the more recent Italian all have an influence and evidence of each of them surrounds you.

We walked through most of the centre of the old town, still lots of people around. We turned back and stopped in the restaurant opposite Sarris for a drink. A place called the Golden Olympiade, we had a coke, glass of wine and a bottle of water for €9.40.

Then an amble back to the room, back at 10ish.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Rhodes TownRhodes Town
Rhodes Town

St. John's Gate


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb