First Stop - Kythnos.


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Kythnos
September 19th 2010
Published: October 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today was the longest day and it was after 4pm when we arrived in Kithnos. Fortunately, we beat the last minute rush as we managed to get one of the few remaining spots on the pier. The harbour master there was a well-built young man who spent most of the afternoon running up and down the pier directing boats in.

Kithnos, is a rocky, barren island but there are hot springs near the pier so this was where we headed as soon as we were ready. After a refreshing dip in both the warm water and the brisk cool water further out we returned to the boat to change before dinner. We are berthed at the small town of Loutra which has several small tavernas nearby. We adjoined to one of these for our first evening meal as a group. As it was Jen's 60th this doubled as a birthday party, Ian picking up the tab.


Sunday 19th September 2010



A walk into the capital of the island, Chora, about 4ms away was the first activity of the day, all of us except Jen, who appears to be coming down with a virus, and Ian, who has a sore leg, making the trip. Rags did notice that the road zig-zagged up the hills with pedestrian lanes cutting off the corners. Only he tried the last one out, sitting by the side of the road waiting for the group.

The township itself was quaint, with a maze of narrow paved streets tarted up with flowers painted on them, and whitewashed houses opening directly on to them. The streets were very clean, each household sweeping the section in front of their house. As it was Sunday only the cafes were open and these were relatively empty except for a few male locals drinking coffee, the rest of the residents at church.

This altered after the town bell rang for 10am, people coming out of church and many headed to where we were enjoying our coffee to do the same. It became a bustle of people in a short time with people of all ages getting together.

Rags was given the job of navigating back to the boat, he warning the others that sometimes his shortcuts were a little long. All went well for some time, we following the ridge rather than the road, seeing stock such as chickens, sheep, cattle and goats. The others insisted on following the track rather than the overgrown ridge track Rags had spotted and not long after we found ourselves at a dead end, the road in sight about 1km away but with rough fields and stone walls in between. After a bit of slipping and sliding we eventually reached the road seen earlier.

A stop at the local bakery to buy some pastries for lunch preceded a return to the boat prior to untying and setting off for Syros island.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

MenuMenu
Menu

it's all Greek to me!


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb