Fun in Epidavros


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Pelopennese » Nafplion
June 21st 2012
Published: June 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Took a morning bus the short 40 or so minute drive to Epidavros. This is technically another great healing center of the ancient world, just like the Asklepion that I visited in Bergama. But, the true claim to fame is the theatre. It's hands down one of the most impressive, largest, and best preserved ancient theatres in the world. The acoustics actually are the most remarkable thing about the place. You can be all the way up at the top, and be able to easily hear a person down on the stage. The ancient Greeks didn't need microphones!

Plays are actually still performed here. I think that's a great thought - all of the great Greek plays that we still read today were not only typically first performed here, but to this day audiences go and see them. Wow! Epidavros is also, I think, in one of the most beautiful parts of Greece. The Peloponnese has a very hot and dry landscape, but also one of the most dramatic, in the sense that the mountains and the hills literally seem to be more defined because of the heat. There's nothing getting in the way of what you see.

Other than that, relaxed in the afternoon by the water back in Nafplio. Had a bad mussaka for dinner, though - think I'm weaned off those for awhile. Tomorrow it's out of Nafplio for Gythio (yee-thio), which is farther South on the Peloponnese.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

CountrysideCountryside
Countryside

It looks a little bit like Colorado?
Random photo of ruins at EpidavrosRandom photo of ruins at Epidavros
Random photo of ruins at Epidavros

This is from a path that you could follow that went around the outskirts of Epidavros.


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb