A visit to Vlihos


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Ionian Islands » Lefkada
March 24th 2009
Published: May 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We were down to our final packet of instant cappuccinos this morning, It was sunny again today, and the streets were full of the smell of baking bread as I headed out, trolling for a wifi signal so that I could download our email. Eventually I found one outside a coffee shop, though I felt a bit conspicuous standing on the corner downloading messages. We still haven't heard from the place where we plan to stay in Sorrento, Italy, but hopefully that is not an issue as we will be there on Thursday.

The man who runs the grocery store is now very used to us, the non-Greek speaking people coming in, though we make our best efforts to greet him with a “Yassas” and thank him with an “Ef aristo”.

Aunt Helen calls and we arrange to meet her at a cafe in Vlihos in a short while. The bus comes fairly quickly this time, and we spot her sitting in the dockside cafe as the bus pulls into town. After sitting in the sun and having a coffee, we walk up the road to her apartment, Joshua and Benjamin taking turns riding the bike.
Her apartment building is right across the street from the water, and her unit faces back onto the hills. The apartment is cute little place, with a balcony out back almost the same size again, which must be nice in winter. Photos of my cousins Kate and Martha brought back memories of home. Aunt Helen and Joshua share a passion for collecting interesting rocks, and she shows him one out of her collection.

We head back out to the street again with Aunt Helen, and she takes us further up the road to show us the yacht club where she picks up her mail and takes many of her meals.

With our bus due sometime soon, we head over to the bus stop and chat for another half hour. A friend of hers who lives on a boat in the harbour shows up with her young daughter, and is able to give us some suggestions of place to visit as they cruise the Mediterranean for months at a time. Finally we say a final goodbye to Aunt Helen and catch the bus back to Nidri.

Back at our apartment, we have lunch and then spend the afternoon doing school work.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.073s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb