Swimming in the Ionian Sea


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Ionian Islands » Kefalonia
May 11th 2014
Published: May 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Breakfast on the aft deck this morning as the sun was finally shining. We didn’t get into Argostoli until midday so we had a nice relaxing morning. Once we arrived in port, we had lunch before leaving the boat because Argostoli isn’t very big and there doesn’t seem to be much to do except souvenir shopping. We packed our bathers as there is a small beach at the north end of the town and headed ashore. The beach is tiny and made of shells and broken pottery, worn down like sea glass. Em went on a treasure hunt along the beach and found lots of tiny pieces of broken tableware, with the glaze still attached showing the patterns from years ago. Who knows, maybe there were even some ancient bits in there!

We waded in the sea – the water was too cold for swimming – watching these funny little tube creatures. They have what looks like a pipe about the size of your little finger for a home and they come out the end as a colourful, feathery thing floating in the current catching whatever happens by in the water. There were also lots of hermit crabs but these ones seem a lot more shy than Aussie ones because they didn’t want to come out at all unless they were in the water. We spent about 2 hours just playing on the beach before heading into the town to see what was around.

As expected, there was a range of restaurants catering to the cruise crowd along the waterfront and lots of souvenir shops too. The whole area is nice enough but unless you are stopping for a meal or glass of wine, there is little there.

Only an afternoon stop anyway, we made it back to the port, used the free wifi to send a happy mother’s day message, then watched the fish along the pier before heading back onboard. A Greek food buffet was served on the aft deck and we had a lovely early dinner in the sun.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.239s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0765s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb