Sleepy Greek Villages - In The Morning At Least


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Ionian Islands » Corfu
August 10th 1990
Published: October 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Pelekas BeachPelekas BeachPelekas Beach

Pelekas beach in the morning
The boat was a much smother ride than the trains, it was cooler and there was a lot more room. Consequently, I had the best night's sleep that I'd had in ages. I woke up briefly at exactly the right moment to see the sun rising, and then the next thing I remembered was the announcement that we were arriving at Corfu. The boat had showers, so by the time we got to shore, I was quite refreshed.

The boat was met by loads of people flogging their accommodation, which was nice considering that up to now, we'd had to hunt high and low for somewhere. Monica, one of the Finish girls, had been raving about Pelekas, a particular village that she had been to, but there was no accommodation from there on offer. Against our better judgement, we decided to get a taxi and find somewhere to stay when we arrived.

We arrived to a sleepy little village where the only sign of life was a few old Greeks ushering donkeys which were carrying supplies. We checked the hotel where Monica has stayed last time and it was full, but Monica was welcomed like an old friend and
Pelekas BeachPelekas BeachPelekas Beach

Sun-set on Pelekas beach
the two girls were put up on the floor in the manager's apartment. The two guys and I looked for a while, but everywhere was full. We wondered how everywhere was full in such a sleepy little place, but we didn't realise until later that things had changed a lot since Monica had last been there and it had become a bit of an eighteen thirty resort. The reason it was so quiet was that everyone had only finished partying a couple of hours earlier.

Monica got a verbal thrashing.

We headed down to the beach, which involved a huge climb down a cliff and was - surprise, surprise - deserted. There was a small hippie campsite over one end, but they were, presumably, all doped up to the eyeballs and wouldn't surface for a while, if ever. We had the whole beach to ourselves, until about the middle of the afternoon when people started to surface, looking decidedly worse for wear.

The others were going to party all night and hope that they could get some accommodation sorted for the following night. I didn't have the energy or the funds for that, so I decided to spend the day slobbing on the beach with them and then head back to the port to catch the ferry early the next morning. I caught some serious rays, had a couple of beers with the others. Greek blokes who remembered Monica from the last time kept flocking round, so it's obvious now why she liked the place so much!

When the time was right, I got my backpack and set-off for the walk back to the ferry port.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 72; dbt: 0.1289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb