Counting Steps in Argostoli


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Ionian Islands » Argassi
October 10th 2010
Published: October 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This was an early morning since we had to check in for our tour by 6:50 so we had a quick bite at the Lido (just toast for Sharon and Fruit for John) before heading to the Showroom. It was still very dark out and turned out the captain had arranged to dock instead of tender at this port. However, the pier is very small and hard to dock so he had to wait for the sun to come out a bit. This made us about 30 mins late for the tours. However, seeing the pier later made it obvious why it was difficult. It’s much shorter than the ship and even then is split into 3 sections joined by temporary type bridges. We headed out on the Melissani Lake & Drogarati Cave tour with a drive around the lagoon and then along the coast to the lake. We had one stop for photos but the scenery was very nice all the way. The lake is subterranean but partly open above because it caved in at some point. The boats held about 14 people with one man rowing them out. It was very nice and our rower was funny trying to sing and taking our photos. Including reuniting a couple that weren’t sitting together to get the picture (the wife wanted to the husband didn’t).

We then headed to the cave where we were told it would be about 128 steps down to it. Not quite. John counted 198 in total which did include the 25 to get to the ticket booth and those to get to the bottom of the cave. It was very nice but very slow going since some parts were wet and slippery and not all sections had railings.

We drove pack to the port thru the mountain road and the views were spectacular. We then had lunch in the Dining Room before heading to the Crow’s Nest to write the blog for yesterday and this morning. Will write again tomorrow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



12th October 2010

working off calories
thought you should have titled this day's entry as "working off calories from Corfu." After going down (and while you didn't say you also went up the stairs I assume you did) all those steps it was just Holland America's way of everyone working off their calories from the food on and off the ship.

Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0986s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb