Our First Full Day In Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Central Macedonia » Thessaloniki
June 15th 2011
Published: June 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Statue of Octavian Augustus - Statue of Octavian Augustus - Statue of Octavian Augustus -

27 B.C. - 14 A.D. - First Emperor of Rome.
We had a meeting at the town hall to hear a representative for the mayor. We were also joined by the Consulate General of the United States. The Consulate General was very impressive and the discussion we had with the assistant to the mayor was very informative. We came away with more of an understanding of the struggles Greece is facing right now.

Next, we headed to the Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki. Our guide for Greece led us around the entire museum, and he gave us so much information it will be hard for me to put it all in this blog. This post won’t be very long, but please check out each picture because I believe you will learn from them.
After spending over two hours there, it was time for lunch. We went to the top of Thessaloniki and it started to pour. There was even hail, which is very unusual for this time of year. We had an amazing meal; I think every meal will be amazing here in Greece. After lunch, we took pictures of the castle walls.

We then made our way to the Agios Dimitrios Church, which was named after Dimitrios, a martyr
Agios Dimitrios ChurchAgios Dimitrios ChurchAgios Dimitrios Church

first built in 313 A.D.
and patron saint of Thessaloniki. The church was first built in 313 A.D. Afterwards, we walked down to the Roman Forum, which was built in the late 2nd century. You’ll see pictures, but it is really cool to see the architectural genius of the Romans that allowed them to create such massive structures. Even though there are only remains to look at today, it is not hard to imagine what it would have looked like nearly 2,000 years ago. Make sure you check out the picture of the Roman baths.

Finally, by late afternoon we had a little free time before dinner. I went to the town square and checked out all the stores and simply people watched. I ran into some of the other teachers in our group and we noticed that there were dozens of police around the square. It didn’t take long for us to learn that they were there because the Special Olympics torch would soon be arriving on its final leg before having the Special Olympics in Athens. We saw the torch and listened for a while as they celebrated.

Next it was time for dinner and once again the food was incredible.
Mosaics - Dionysiac CompositionMosaics - Dionysiac CompositionMosaics - Dionysiac Composition

from a wealthy family




Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Bone Dice - 494-495 B.C.Bone Dice - 494-495 B.C.
Bone Dice - 494-495 B.C.

Grave goods from a male burial.
The Derveni Crater - 4th century B.C.The Derveni Crater - 4th century B.C.
The Derveni Crater - 4th century B.C.

Used as a depository urn.
More gold jewelryMore gold jewelry
More gold jewelry

Late 4th century B.C.
The Clock of Phlippoi - 250 - 350 A.D.The Clock of Phlippoi - 250 - 350 A.D.
The Clock of Phlippoi - 250 - 350 A.D.

You need to guess what this instrument woud have been used for.


17th June 2011
Torch Lighting

love it
18th June 2011

proud of you - wish we were traveling with you
you're a good grandson and an excellent narator and photographer

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0581s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb