Day 133 to 145 Thessaloniki, Nea Kalikratia


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Central Macedonia » Thessaloniki » Agios Athanasios
September 25th 2011
Published: September 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The drive back into Greece was very long! Our plan was to aim for a camp site south of Thessaloniki where I would rest up while Kim Travelled back to work at the Boat Show in Southampton. We arrived about 9.30pm to find the camp site in darkness, and ended up sleeping in the Bongo on a side road just outside town. Kim had 1 full day prior to jetting off, so we had to find a place, the campsite had closed a week or so earlier, the season appears to end early here. Another campsite we found was pretty deserted and nowhere near any kind of life. Getting a bit anxious, we hunted down a lady with apartments to rent, and in no time we were set (it was almost as cheap as camping!). Nea Kalikratia ia a small town right on a lovely beach, and it seems famed for its lovely sunsets, I can bore you with a few pics!.
A few days after dropping Kim off to the airport, I was back again to collect Oly who was to have a break and keep me company for a few days. Needless to say I had an itinerary ready for him! We went to caves at Petralona to see the 700,000 year old skull they found there in the 1950’s, no pics I’m afraid as they did not allow it. But we spent a nice two hours having a guided tour and trip round the museum, completely free of charge. No wonder they have an economic problem!
A Sunday we drove into Thessaloniki, its the second largest city of Greece. Extremely cosmopolitan as it has been a centre of many wars between neighbouring countries, and also a major trading city for many years. We undertook a walking tour described in my Lonely Planet guide, which started off right at the top viewing point of the city , and wound its way around the sights, Agios Dimitrios Cathedral (with a crypt), a Roman Agora, the Rotunda (a church and mosque at different times), finishing at the waterfront and the White Tower, now a museum. We ended our trip with dinner at a waterside cafe, very chic.
I did let Oly rest on the beach some days, and we took a drive around part of the peninsula, but all too soon it was time for him to depart.
The weather changed
Nea KalikritiaNea KalikritiaNea Kalikritia

Nea Kalikritia
after a major electrical storm, and I spent my time cleaning and readying the Bongo for our travels to come. However I did manage a few restful hours on the beach at the end of the week, it was still busy with Greek families who love to swim in the sea, and I relaxed in a bar and watched the locals promenade every evening. Such a different lifestyle!



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0775s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb