Backpacking in Athens


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Central Greece » Delphi
May 5th 2009
Published: May 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

In ATHENS! (delphi is not an option on the blogger



Athens is b-e-a-utiful! The ruins are nice and marble, and have soooo much history behind them. We've visited the Acropilis, Agora, a judiciary court at the top of a hill (required a bit of a hike) and tonight we're going to hike one more hill.

Greece is 10x more exciting than Canada! People here can walk in ancient markets with collosial columns and have a picnic in that scenery.. we haven't had to pay for entry into any of the places we've gone to so far, which is also amazing. I called this day a safari in Greece, because all we've done so far is walk/hike around to all the ancient ruins.

And the GRANDEUR of it all is inspiring! The temple of Zeus ruin has four or so columns remaining, and one knowcked over. THese columns are about 100ft high! It's an engineering feat. Not the mention the Pantheon, which is under construction, but statues of Athena stand tall and proud in tact. Greece makes me want to beautify Toronto. It has a strong sense of culture, and everything is within walking distance!.. EVERYTHING! amazing place to spend a day.

So let me back track a bit.. because I already have spent one night in London with trusty Leslie as well. WOW. Toronto sucks! Really! The buildings are huge and made of pretty stone. Not to mention that the streets are really clean. St Paul's Cathedral is HUGE and really cool (going back to there for the full tour to see the crypt). THe millemium bridge, thames river, picadilly circus. It seems as though everything was made in London to impress, not like TOronto.

Some funny notes.. Annie got drunk last night and I have that on video!

Also, the hostel we stayed at in London was UBER sketchy but Leslie promises me the rest aren't like that.. that was an adventure in itself!

Greece is hot (20C+) and tomorrow morning we're headed to Santorini island for 3 days, then Mykonos. I LOOK FORWARD to the beach!

Can't believe I get to do this for a month...

Michelle

Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.007s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0194s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb