Athens - one of the world's oldest cities


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens » Alimos
July 21st 2011
Published: August 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Coming in to AthensComing in to AthensComing in to Athens

As the ship neared Athens, we could see how vast this city is!
There has been a lot of unrest in Greece since the beginning of time. Other countries have often occupied Greece and many things have been done against Greece. The Nazis stole all of the Jewish gold and artwork and Germany has never recompensed them. Many of their temples and old buildings have been destroyed either by occupation from another country or by an earthquake. Some ruins are still being discovered. We saw a group of American archeological students excavating an area about which has information has not yet been released.
In Athens there are no single house dwellings. Everyone lives in an apartment. All of the apartment buildings are alike as many were destroyed or decrepit after time. Athens has a big problem with illegal immigrants, due to a United Nations Policy, Athens may not turn away any refugees. If they have over 1.4 million refugees that are legal, they also have over 2.5 million immigrants that are illegal. There is nothing that can be done but this country struggles with its poverty and economy.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Miles and Miles of CityMiles and Miles of City
Miles and Miles of City

Athens has more than 4 million people!!
Vassilios our tour guideVassilios our tour guide
Vassilios our tour guide

Our tour guide studied and wrote an exam to become a licensed tour guide. His knowledge of Athens is very extensive!!
The ParthenonThe Parthenon
The Parthenon

The Acropolis is the flat topped rock of marble that the famous Parthenon sits on. The marble is smooth and slippery and You are not permitted to touch the marble of any of the ruins. The Parthenon is over 2500 years old and was a temple dedicated to the virgin God, Anthena.
Parthenon drawingParthenon drawing
Parthenon drawing

What the Parthenon (a temple dedicated to the goddess Athena) probably looked like. Mathematically, the architecture of the Parthenon represents the golden ratio of 1.61 in geometry. Fascinating structure!
Interesting fact - Dogs in GreeceInteresting fact - Dogs in Greece
Interesting fact - Dogs in Greece

Stray dogs can be seen all over Athens. All of the dogs we encountered, and we saw them eveywhere we went were healthy and friendly. They did not bother people. On the hot day of our visit we found them lounging in the shade. Most of the dogs had collars which meant that they had been spayed or neutered by the city to help control their population. In essence, all of the dogs belong to the city and they are fed and and cared at various animal shelters around the city, but can roam freely.
Ruins - The ErechtheumRuins - The Erechtheum
Ruins - The Erechtheum

Some have suggested that it may have been built in honor of the legendary king King Erechtheus, who is said to have been buried nearby this temple. was mentioned in Homer's Iliad as a great king and ruler of Athens during the Archaic Period. On this side of the temple, 6 maidens support the roof of this temple.
Temple of NikeTemple of Nike
Temple of Nike

Nike means "victory" in Greek - the same name used by the athletic company we all purchase products from.
Temple of ZeusTemple of Zeus
Temple of Zeus

This temple is dedicated to Zeus, the father of Gods and men.
Anthenian AngoraAnthenian Angora
Anthenian Angora

An angora is a meeting place for Grecians. This Athenian Angora is located in the center of Athens. Behind this structure is a large square which could hold many people.
Grave of Unknown SoldierGrave of Unknown Soldier
Grave of Unknown Soldier

Every major city in Europe has a dedicated grave of the unknown soldier for those who have fought in wars.
The Olive TreeThe Olive Tree
The Olive Tree

You can see olives growing at the end of this branch. The "tree of life" in Greece is a big staple in their diet....olive oil, olive perfume, olive medicine, olive wood and many more uses!
Greek GuardGreek Guard
Greek Guard

When posing beside a Greek guard, you may not touch the guard or pose other than with you hands at your sides. To be a Greek Guard of the grave of the unknown soldier, you must be 6'1" tall and they must remain motionless and at attention while "on guard".


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0701s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb