Gibraltar


Advertisement
Gibraltar's flag
Europe » Gibraltar » Gibraltar
January 17th 2012
Published: January 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Cadiz a Gibraltar

Started off the day nice and early in Cadiz and managed to get a bus directly to a place called la Linea which is right on the border of Spain and Gibraltar, due to ongoing problems between the spanish and the british governments there is no bus service across the border. There was only a very short walk to and across the border and the weather was fantastic so no worries. Despite being told there was nowhere to leave my big bag at the bus station, found some lockers which let you leave your big rucksack for 3 euros a day. result. Walked easily across the border with my passport cover only being glnaced at and walked toward the town centres.

The ariport in gibraltar which runs across the access to the pennisular also cross the main roads so in order to get into Gibraltar you have walk across the runway. An interesting experience and luckily there weren't any planes!! The rock is a huge monolith rising from the sea with a gentle sloping western side and and steep cliff eastern flank. GB is almost 300 years old and is like walking into a sterotypical piece of england. The city centre is accessed through a rock tunnel carved out during years of sieges against the spanish and surrounding the main square are loads of english pubs offering traditional fare and obviously lots of overpriced fish and chip places. the main street is covered by tabacconists, jewellers and electronic stores, where i eventually managed to pick up a battery for my watch, due to the fact there are no taxes in GB.

Decided to be traditional and head to the top of the rock, it costs 50p or 1 euro to walk up and although not a particular long or hard walk it is quite a long way up especially problematic in the summer i can imagine! The entrance for walkers does not include access to the mines or any attractions but the views of africa from the top were amazing. Can't believe the other continent is that close. went off main path at top and scrambled around some ruins to get to the very to and took the obligatory pictures of the monkeys before heading on down. Went to Morrisons and then back off to La Linea to get the bus to Marbella, uneventful journey that took about 1 1/2 hours. Very kindly picked up at the Bus station by Anna and her mum and driven about 10km to their house just outside marbella in La Linea. nice apartment complex and a very nice flat. Have my own room to sleep in which is quite a change from hostelling around i tell you!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1309s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb