Heading south again.


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
June 6th 2012
Published: June 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

GöttingenGöttingenGöttingen

Goose girl fountain
We headed south towards Alsace, via Göttingen where Jeff met with a colleague at the university, and then Grünberg where we saw again how the Germans love their long weekends.

When we got to Grünberg, the place was pumping with traditional oomp-pa-pa not quite yodeling music! The town square had become a beer garden, people were singing, chatting, eating, wandering around and the kids were going wild on the jumping castle! It seemed that the entire population was there. Our hotel room overlooked the square, so we had ringside seats. After having a drink and food we went for a wander around the old precinct and down to a park in a valley behind the town wall to see the Medieval aqueduct system that was once the water supply. When we got back to the square, at about 7 expecting the party to still be in full swing, we were amazed to find it quiet, and with German efficiency, all packed up. Good we thought, we will be able to get a clear picture of the lovely Fachwerk (half- timbered) houses in the morning light.

But when we woke the square was full again, this time with the market
Restaurant in cellar under Göttingen RathausRestaurant in cellar under Göttingen RathausRestaurant in cellar under Göttingen Rathaus

Freezing weather, cosy in here.
stalls: fruit, flowers, cheeses, sausages and meat products, bread, handcrafts... Which delayed our departure of course.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Grünberg festivalGrünberg festival
Grünberg festival

The place was jumping!


Tot: 0.429s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb