Lutherstadt-Wittenberg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
June 4th 2012
Published: June 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Lutherstadt-Wittenberg: we arrived in time to see the Luther-haus museum which is quite impressive. The house itself is very large as it was once a priory. Luther had up to 40 staying there (friends, members of his family and students & servants). He was by all accounts quite a strong, entertaining personality. Interesting to see his library, as well as the room where much of the 'Table Talk' discussions were held. Luther's wife was also an independently minded woman and ran a busy and vibrant house full of visitors as well as raising their children.

Also saw the Cranach house,which is in a lovely Renaissance style. Cranach Snr. was quite the entrepreneur, being an apothecary, owning several shops, running a printing press from which the bulk of Luther's writing was disseminated, as well as being a prolific artist. He was, needless to say one of the wealthiest people in town. The house contains an interesting museum of early printing, as well as a contemporary art gallery.

Saw the 2 churches with memorials to the Reformers, and of course the famous door, which now has the theses on it in bronze.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Lutherstatdt- Wittenberg Lutherstatdt- Wittenberg
Lutherstatdt- Wittenberg

Statue of Luther's wife in courtyard of their residence.


Tot: 0.33s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb