Trier and Luxembourg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Trier
June 19th 2010
Published: June 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

My friend Marlene I met in Peru in the jungle, I went to stay with her for a while in Trier. I wazs lucky because she met me at Munich station, having been home for the weekend, so I didn't have to take the long rail to Trier by myself! We had a good catch up (and some ice cream) on the train. Marlene is a student at Trier university, she studied biological geography; lots of things about plants, soil and frogs by the sounds of it! She lives in a block of flats near the university, so thats where we headed. She wants to move soon because since she moved in the block is completely covered in scaffolding- she has no windows! She has a flatmate called Andreas who is very friendly!

Marlene cooked us some food, fried potatoes and veg with lots of spices, very good! And we went for a walk around. Trier is a very green city, we didn't have to walk far to reach rolling green hills, woods, and a beautiful viez over Trier in the sunset. On the way we saw some strange block houses which are apparently all the fashion and very expensive, the TV tower, and a pretty little church tucked into the woods. On the way back we passed by a strange sculpture that was apparently given to Trier by Luxembourg city. It looks like a big red metallic zigzag, presumably pointing towards Luxembourg. When we got closer we realised you can go up so we went to see a view over Trier at night.

Marlene had uni the next day so I went off to explore Trier. I walked pretty much the way into town that we had walked the night before, and the steps down brought me near the Roman amphitheatre, so that was my first stop. It is a big space and quite well preserved, it was a shame about all the scaffolding putting up a stage for a concert, and the 4 men strimming the grass, not very authentic! It was good though because you could wander all over and explore, and there was an area underneath the amphitheatre so you could see what it was like under the arena. Of course it was all held up with wood and metal so not how it would have been, but you still get and idea.

My next stop was the Roman baths, when I arrived it promptly started raining and loads of school kids turned up! They were having a great time running around the labyrinth of tunnels under the baths. The building itself was quite impressive and I enjoyed wandering around exploring, dodging the raindrops! There was a tower you could go up as well and see the site from above which was cool.

I headed into the town centre and saw the Porta Nigra, a huge Roman gate to the town, right in the town centre, very impressive! The main square and surroundings were very sweet, it was such a lovely town centre. In the main square was a market so loads of people around, nice fountains and facades of the buildings. I went in the Dom and spent ages wandering the winding streets. Just outside the centre is a Roman bridge over the river, so I walked to see that as well. It was impressive but it started to rain again so didn't stay long. I went to meet Marlene and we went to view a flat she was thinking of renting. They were nice people but don't think she will go for it!

I got some Asian food from an Asian food shop and we went home to cook that, but we decided to walk home and we got half way when the heavens opened... we were soaked to the skin! Andreas laughed at us when we got home, dripping wet!

The next day was much better weather and Marlene and I decided to go to Luxembourg. And what a beautiful city! We had fun walking around the town centre, market square - like a proper French market it was great - and the palace with the guard stood outside who had clearly just come out of school, he looked very bored, bless! Then we came across the centre of the city where there is a huge valley, you look down and it's like another world down there, like a village within a city it's really strange! We got some sandwiches and sat in the park for a while, then decided to head down into the valley.

And being in the valley is like another world as well, it's so peaceful, quiet and green! Then you look up and you can see the bustling city above. We walked all along the path until we reached the more residential bit, the houses were so cute and the place so peaceful, like being in a little village. There was a pretty stream we sat by for a long time, the sun shining, watching the ducks and a heron! Then walked over the little bridge and into the square with the church. On one side is the cliff that goes up to the town, and someone had planted a huge vegetable garden there. We went over another strange little bridge over a river, and under the road above. Still in a residential area, we wandered up to the next bridge along then reluctantly headed back to reality! We headed back to the train station, stopping for an ice cream on the way, and for another view down into the valley from the other side. It was a shame to leave such a beautiful city!

Back at home Marlene cooked us a potato gratin and we went to bed very tired! I had to say goodbye to Marlene in the morning, she gave me a lovely hug 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement




Tot: 0.276s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 15; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0613s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb