What the Ecke


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Koblenz
June 8th 2010
Published: July 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Not only did we rise early enough for breakfast, but we were the first guests there. We smiled and attempted some German, but not all too successfully. Luckily two more guests joined us and Rob and I were able to relax. We asked if we could stay one more night and offered to pay, however, the owner would not let us.

Arriving at the car, I was somewhat bemused to hear that Rob had forgotten the car keys. Fortunately (perhaps) Rob had also forgotten to shut the drivers side window. Even more lucky was that his spare key was within an arms reach. After a bout of relieved laughter, we headed off in search of the Rhein. The drive to Koblenz along the Mosel took us through lots of pretty villages and plenty of vineyards. There was a fair amount of traffic on the roads so I did not have to worry too much about Rob’s erratic driving style. We made it to Koblenz in about an hour, and even managed to understand the crazy system of payment for the parking. Koblenz was not that pretty in comparison to Cochem and had plenty more tourists. There were coaches and coaches of people and too many of them were English speaking.

We headed for the old town and found it to be pretty small and mostly full of guesthouses. The Deutsche Ecke was on all of the signs and so we figured it must be a highlight of the city. It was fairly impressive, particularly climbing the monument and looking out along the Rhein. We hung around the Deutsche Ecke, partly because it was in the shade, and partly because we were slightly lost for where to go next. We stopped at a tourist kiosk and looked at the postcards of the city. We made note of a few significant sights and headed out in search of them.

The most amusing part of the day was not the statue of the boy spitting water out of his mouth, but Rob trying to get a picture of it. The fountain only worked intermittently and therefore Rob was impatiently attempting to get the perfect picture. In doing so, he succeeded in getting pretty wet feet.

After mooching around a few of the shops and buying a few clothes more appropriate for the heat, we decided to call it a day and head back to the car.

We drove back towards Cochem on the opposite side of the river, which was just as picturesque. We stopped in a few places for a look around and Rob particularly enjoyed driving around the winding country roads. We stopped for a couple of beers and watched the sun set behind the valley.

After freshening up at the pension, we walked across the bridge to the otherside of Cochem and grabbed supper at a waterfront restaurant whilst sipping a white Riesling made in Cochem. We stayed rather longer than we wanted to as the heavens opened and Rob had left without a coat or a waterproof. Eventually though, the restaurant was closing and we had to make a dash for it. At least some of us are sensible and remember waterproofs.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Deutsche EckeDeutsche Ecke
Deutsche Ecke

Just means German Corner
Traditional German foodTraditional German food
Traditional German food

....well its not that vegetarian friendly
No More BeerNo More Beer
No More Beer

The down side of a DRIVING holiday
Cochem WineCochem Wine
Cochem Wine

Even if it is a Riesling


Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 26; qc: 125; dbt: 0.1368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb