Rhein valley cruising and castle climbing


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Bacharach
July 12th 2009
Published: July 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Spent the whole day going up and down the Rhein by boat and by train whenever we missed the boat. It was a rainy day, but we made the best of it.

Cruising the Rhein on a double decker cruise boat, watching the myriad castles or remnants of fortresses is a nice relaxing day activity. We got off the boat to visit the town of St Goar which is at the base of the Rheinfels castle.

Why is the Rhein consdered romantic? It's not like the Romans had much success in looting and raiding these parts. So, it's not from Roman barbarism. The Robber Barrons mastered the art of taxing Rhein river traffic, except when the river merchants managed to raise armies of sufficient strength to destroy certain fortresses. Not much romance there you'd think. So why romantic? Maybe it's because the Rhein valley and Black forest area is the source of many children's fairy tales, including Cinderella and Hansel and Gretel. But, to be honest, that was also nasty people doing nasty things. So, is that what romantic means?


E.. suggests it's all about marketing. Take a normal pile of rocks by some rapids in the river. Form some silly legend about them, mix in mermaids in to the tale, give it a name such as Loreley or what ever. Then market it as "exotic" to people from far away.

The Natives in Canada should probably be doing this type of marketing too. Cowboys and Indians is such an attractive legend, especially in Germany. And, with revisionist history being in vogue, the natives are now the favoured ones. Come to Saskatchewan to see Pow Wows, meet real natives, shoot rapids in Cedar canoes, see a rodeo, ride horses and wagons. Is anyone in Canada doing this?


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb