My own Private tour!


Advertisement
Published: June 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Private tour Guide!The Private tour Guide!The Private tour Guide!

Nice guy, sure did know alot about the place!
Greetings from Dusseldorf!

Just thought i would give an update from my little adventures in Dusseldorf.
let me start by saying that this town has not nearly as much to do as Cologne. Good thing om only here a couple days. The rhine is beautiful as always, and i got to sit on the beach and chill out for a couple hours and start reading a book. I bought "Angels and Demons" because it is nice to have a book on those long train rides when you are sitting next to someone who isnt the best at conversation or is just plain annoying. This place does have a couple things that are interesting, but really nothing with extended mind grappling.
The rhine tower is a big ass Tv tower that lights up at night and has a absurdly expensive resturant at the top. the lights on it are actually a digital clock of sorts, with different ones for seconds, min, and hours.
I found a Monument for a big battle in the middle ages in the city as well, it was preety small and i dont think may people know about it.
The best thing so far, was my own
The entranceThe entranceThe entrance

The doorway leading into the underground air shelter!
little private tour i got today. I was wondering around kinda looking for this WW2 musem for the citizens of the city. i found it, but didnt quite expect what was in store for me.
Upon entering i walked around the exhibits inside and didnt see anything too amazing. but then i walked into a courtyard and this woman came up to me and started talking in german. i kindly replied that i dont speak the language well, and she disssappered only to return with a german guy that did speak english. I told them that i was wondering around and was wondering if this place had any more to see.
Boy did i get the anwser.
In the courtyard they were doing some excavation work and had run into some 15th century artifacts and were cataloging them.
He showed me some stairs and said that there is much more this way, and that there is an actual Raid shelter and bunker below the building!
Awsome!!
I got a grand tour of the place, got to duck under some low hanging pipes, squeeze
OriginalOriginalOriginal

All origanal paint, doors, latches, everything.
through some tight corridors, and duck my way through the actuall raid shelter. There were all original doors there, with the original words still painted on them from 1940-41. I was amazed at what a gem was under this seemingly normal building.
I got to see this interesting contraption that was used to pull fresh air into the bunker and it was all untouched since the war.
i took some video while i was down there, ill have to find a way to upload it when i get to a pc that has some usb ports.
Every year the museum has people from the area come back that were around during the time of the occupation. He told me that a couple old ladies came in, and were completely taken aback by a photo that was blown up and stood as a sort of giant wall painting.
Low and behold it was them in the photo! they were looking at themselves over 60 years ago the photo being taken as the gypsies were leaving the city.
it was amazing and i could go into SOO much more detail but i think this post has gotton long enough already.
it always happens when you least expect it!



Advertisement



4th June 2009

Awesome!
That sounds amazing as usual, and the personal tour sounds like that Discovery Channel show for "Cities of the Underworld."
5th June 2009

awesome
Beau, very cool - wow!! This was an awesome step back into history. I can still remember hiking in the hills in Germany and finding caves that were being built for underground shelters. Take in all in buddy and enjoy history at each step... the Oz :)

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb