River Cruise on the Rhine - Interrupted


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » North Rhine-Westphalia » Cologne
October 2nd 2011
Published: October 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

DomDomDom

We arrived in Cologne on Sunday morning. Mass (in German) was very ritualistic (even for us accostomed to Catholic pagentry), beautiful chanting by nuns and friars, insense galore, processions that included children holding lighted candles.
Acute Uticaria! “Nettles! Nein Bucks!” said Germany’s own rendition of Dougie Howser in ruling out that the very itchy lumps and swells that all but closed my eyes and invaded my body were “Not (Bed) Bucks!” So begins day four of a twelve day river cruise from Cologne to Nuremberg on the Rhine and the Main in Germany and then on to Prague for a few exotic artsy days! It wasn’t to be. By Wurzberg we bagged it. The “hives” sent us home! Two hospitals, meds with no relief, no real diagnosis. Auf Wiedersehn!
The brief part of the trip that we got to experience was wonderful. UniWorld’s River Ambassador is a great boat, the food, staff (who helped immensely once the medical part set in), itinerary, scenery, and the company promised great fun!



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Cologne DomCologne Dom
Cologne Dom

Construction began in 1248 and it took 600 years to complete this massive Gothic Cathedral.
Castles and VineyardsCastles and Vineyards
Castles and Vineyards

Most of the Rhine Castles are not hotels; and the surrounding steep slopes have been planted with grape vines. We were told that the stone outcroppings help hold the heat and promote vine growth and fruit ripening.
Sidewalk cafe in CologneSidewalk cafe in Cologne
Sidewalk cafe in Cologne

You can see that this will soon be a lively spot; but before noon on a drizzly Sunday it looks a bit forlorn.
Koblenz BridgeKoblenz Bridge
Koblenz Bridge

This bridge, bombed out by the Germans to keep the Alied forces from a land invasion, was rebuilt and then the par of it crossing the commercial shippng lanes destroyed again to allow large boats to navigate the Mosel. Back on the Rhine; a whole section bans bridges - ferry services take people from hither to yon!
Blending Old & NewBlending Old & New
Blending Old & New

Thankfully some ancient buildings were saved. A cathedral in Koblenz wasn't bombed by the Allied Forces so that there would be a landmark left standing for return visits!
Here's to You KolschHere's to You Kolsch
Here's to You Kolsch

Kolsch is the light, refreshing and FRESH local beer of Cologne - served in small glasses so as to retain its freshness. We tried it at a sidewalk cafe in Cologne along with some German sausages!
CampersCampers
Campers

Recreational boats on the Rhine are rare - probably because of the swift current. Recreational vehicles are in profusion - one woman erroneously told us these were Gypsy encampments - another guide said that most RVers are the frugal Dutch who bring in their own beer and bread and spend not a Euro! Fun to catch up on the gossip!
Busy, busy river!Busy, busy river!
Busy, busy river!

Day cruises, longer cruises like ours on the River Ambassador, commercial vessels carting coal and petrochemicals make for busy rivers. You can see the owner/captain's shinny BMW's on the boats pushing the barges. Shipping seems lucrative.
Better Co-Exist!Better Co-Exist!
Better Co-Exist!

Bikes, pedestrians, cars, and sidewalk cafes seem to vie for the same space.
Typical Day AboardTypical Day Aboard
Typical Day Aboard

A morning guided walk and an afternoon of splendid vistas as we motored along the Rhine and the Main! Lovely blend of history, culture and relaxation!


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 17; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb