Using Your ATM While in Europe / Baltic Edition


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Mecklenburg-Vorpommern » Warnemunde
April 16th 2012
Published: April 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hey there Cruise Friends!

I have gotten some questions lately about using ATM & credit cards here in Europe so I thought I would send my advice to everyone. You may know this already, but for those that are wondering I hope this will be one less thing you have to worry about.

One of my favorite things about living in the EU since the changeover to the Euro is that traveling has become increasingly easy when it comes to currency. Your Baltic trip however, will bring you to countries that use Danish Kroner, Swedish Kroner, Rubles (not needed) and the Euro; some may even need British pounds... so it begs the question, what do I do about cash?

The days of using traveler's checks are long gone... I can't think of a single place in our area that would accept them. It is also impractical, and kind of dangerous to load up on the currency of each place you plan to visit and carry it around. Over the years, I have found that simply using my ATM card in each country was the best solution to getting local currency and avoiding the fees and ridiculous charges of money changers. Yet even that, has become a little more difficult than it used to be due to changes in money laundering laws and the introduction of "chips" and PINS onto the back of your credit and ATM cards.

By and large, European merchants HATE credit cards and you may find it difficult to use them in Germany & Denmark, for example.

Very often there will even be a sign out front with what looks like a credit card symbol, but is really for the local bank card. That is why our ATM/Debit card will be one of your best friends for your journey and to get cash so it is imperative that you

A. notify your bank that you will be traveling abroad and give them a list of countries (and even the dates) you will be there.

B. bring the emergency telephone numbers for your stupid banks, who although notified, sometimes do not actually put the information in the system and result in at least one or two frustrating attempts to get cash. 95%!o(MISSING)f the time, your American ATM cards will work in all major cash machines.

Most of the stories you hear about cards being rejected ultimately wind up being machines that are privately owned and not part of a major banking network. That is why I always recommend using your ATM card only at real banks: too many attempts and rejections will trigger your card's security implementation and will close your card... needing a telephone call to that emergency number that you are ALL going to bring, right? =o)

One thing I do recommend, is having a bit of cash in the local currency of the first country on your tour. The ATMs in the airport are often privately owned, have outrageous fees, and are usually located at the direct opposite end of the terminal from wherever you are currently standing or need to catch your transportation; we've all been there! You don't need a lot, just enough to cover the cost of your first journey to your hotel, a bite to eat, and a little extra for tips. Then you can get what you think you'll need at the closest ATM to your hotel.

Here is a little info on some of your specific stops.

St Petersburg: They love Euros and Dollars...forget Rubles. If you have a privately booked tour in STP, I am sure they have already asked to be paid in US$ or €. You can also use $ and € to purchase souvenirs, the tourist books sold outside the Hermitage or Catherine's Palace, etc. TIP: There is a cool little market across from the Church of the Spilled Blood where you can get christmas ornaments and some other cool Russian souvenirs at much better prices than where your guides will later take you. They will warn you off, saying that you won't be able to ensure the quality, but hey.. it's a Christmas ornament. =o)

Germany: We are on the Euro. Your tour with me is ALL INCLUSIVE however, it is always a good idea to have a few coins and Euros for the little stuff like an ice cream, an extra beer or five, or to buy Dave a really cool present. Wait... I generally only like expensive presents so please read the ATM info above. If you are paying cash for your tour here, there is an ATM stop after lunch at a machine from a major bank, but there is also a TRUSTED private machine next to our coffee and cake stop. No need to worry; I've got your back. One last tip. Germany will be the MOST REASONABLE place on your entire journey to have a private drink or meal. A beer here will cost you about 3€ as opposed to close to 10€ in Copenhagen. A meal in a decent restaurant will run about 15€ as apposed to 45€-150€. Once you come back to Warnemünde at the end of your tour, rather than go right back to your ship, sit in our of our many outdoor cafes and enjoy the harbour or the sea front promenade. It will probably be next to impossible for you to leave me anyway... but at least a cocktail will make it less painful.

Denmark: Outside of the major department stores and upscale (over-priced) tourist restaurants and boutiques, not many restaurants or retailers accept American Visa, MasterCard, or AmericanExpress cards. They look like they do, but those signs and symbols and machines are all about Dankort and EuroVisa, neither of which you are likely to possess. So bring your American ATM card (accepted by all Danish ATMs) and prepare to do most of your transactions in cash (or via debit) until you open a Danish bank account and get your own Dankort. The exchange rate you'll get from Danish ATMs is usually better than the exchange rates you'll get at local "Currency Exchange" shops, so unless your bank levies heavy charges on you for foreign withdrawals, this is really the best way to go. (Update: I'm told American credit cards have gained much wider acceptance, but this may only apply if you've got a PIN-code on your card... in other words, if you can make your credit card behave like a debit card. I no longer have any American credit cards, so I can no longer speak from personal experience.)

Sweden: Same as Denmark Helsinki & Talin are also on the €. You should have no problems using your ATM cards here. Credit cards are just as disliked, but a little more widely accepted than in Germany. Helsinki can be like the other Scandinavian countries.. very expensive. Talin is more reasonable, but the tourist places know they can get more cash out of you, so read the menu before you go in or sit down. Sometimes the prices will vary greatly even among establishments right next to each other.

Great Britain: Easy, simple... after all, the Queen's face is on everything. Much wider acceptance of credit cards than anywhere else on your journey.

Just in case I have not been long winded enough and you want a little more info, here are 2 good articles that spell it all out in detail:

About.com

Good Ol' Rick Steves

I hope this helped.

Have a SUPER day!
Your friend in travel,

Dave



PS... for my Travel Friends who are taking my Danube Cruise this Fall, everything about Germany applies to Austria and Prague. We are on the Euro which will make getting money and spending it much easier, however, the same disdain for credit cards can often be found on our journey as well so be prepared. The larger cities will of course have more chances to use cards, but make sure you follow the steps to activate your ATM worldwide to be safe.

Advertisement



15th October 2012

Chip & Pin Info
Thanks Dave. Good advice and I'd like to add my own. When we travel, we take different credit cards and ATM cards so if one of us gets pickpocket, we still have working cards with the other person. We photocopy all our relevant information (both sides of cards) and take copies separately and leave a full copy at home with our son so he cancel everything from home!!!!

Tot: 0.303s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0626s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb