A Medieval Town


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hesse » Kassel
March 31st 2014
Published: April 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Apparently, people get up late around here – breakfast doesn’t start until 8:30!! While we waited, we went out for a walk. There are little statues of the different fairy tales dotted around the tiny village gardens and Em picked them all out. It was a bit of a challenge keeping a 3 year old waiting 2 hours for breakfast but it was worth the wait! What a wonderful start with fresh warm rolls, croissants, cereal, eggs, yoghurt, fruit, coffee and Em even got a hot chocolate!

Having full bellies, we got moving and stopped just a few miles more down the road in the village of Hann Muiden. A bit of a surprise stop but we wondered around the old medieval town before Em spotted a good looking stone tower high above across the river. We had lunch in the park by the river before deciding to brave the ascent through the forest. What a breathtaking view! This would have to be one of the best stops we have made so far and well worth the walk. From above, you can clearly see the old town and the towers which would have once been joined by the town wall. Two sides of the town are bordered by rivers which meet at the corner of the town to form the Weser River which then flows on through Bremen to the sea.

We moved on to Kassel which is a bigger city and checked into our hotel in the centre of town – right next to a decent size carnival complete with huge ferris wheel. Of course we had to go… so we had a go on the ferris wheel which is 38 metres high (so says the sign). Mel discovered that the entire basket turns around the centre post and took great delight torturing me, complete with evil laughter. Looking across the fair, we saw another ride which just seemed insane as it was almost twice the height of the ferris wheel. We searched it out and it is a staggering 62 metres tall (that’s four semi-trailer lengths) – and it hangs you UPSIDE DOWN AT THE TOP!! Definitely not brave enough for that, we instead found a pony ride for Em.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.274s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb