Hamburg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hamburg » Hamburg
March 22nd 2011
Published: March 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Thursday 17th to Friday 18th March 2011


Flying out of Helsinki we had a good view of the frozen bits of the Baltic (near the coast) from the plane - impressive! The day was spent in transit to Hamburg.

John worked all day Friday, while Ali swanned around Hamburg (in the cold and drizzle - Melbourne weather, to all intents and purposes!). Ali was really interested to see the port area. The port is absolutely huge (the largest in Germany) - and it's been one of the world's most important ports since the 13th century. The main thing Ali wanted to see was the Speicherstadt (literally 'city of warehouses') - rows of warehouses built between 1883 and 1927, along a canal system on the edge of the port.

Even though Hamburg was very badly damaged by allied bombing during the Second World War, it's quite impressive how many beautiful old buildings remain - they give some idea of the wealth of the city. According to the tourist board, Hamburg is home to more millionaires per capita than any other European city.

By chance, Ali came across the St-Nikolai-Kirche. It was the third-highest church in Germany but was burnt down in the "Hamburg Fire Storm" of 1943. Today it is maintained as a very moving 'anti-war' memorial to the victims of war, violence and persecution. Next stop was the Rathaus (town hall) - which must surely be the most ornate town hall in existence - built 1886 to 1897.

When in Germany, do as the Germans...! Ali had another rostbratwurst, watching the geese strut around the city square. The geese come from the canal which leads into a small lake (the Binnenalster) - it's incredible to find a lake like this, right in the middle of the city.

After John finished work, there was just time for a quick zip around the Reeperbahn area to check out the places the Beatles played and lived when they were here in the early 60s (before they hit the big time).

As the sun was setting, we 'promenaded' along the docks before making our way back to Luigi's for dinner (take away last night) - great atmosphere, really friendly (Portuguese) staff, good food, and a free Grappa on the way out!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Some cool dude on a bridgeSome cool dude on a bridge
Some cool dude on a bridge

...note the very hip red and green stockings!
The [i]Rathaus[/i]The [i]Rathaus[/i]
The [i]Rathaus[/i]

(Ali is really peeved because a heap of her photos of this area have been lost (forever!) - including those of the [i]Binnenalster[/i] :( )
St Michael and the DragonSt Michael and the Dragon
St Michael and the Dragon

...on St Michael's Church (surprisingly). Note the half-human, half-dragon figure - interesting symbolism.
BeatleplatzBeatleplatz
Beatleplatz

In the heart of St Pauli, on the [i]Reeperbahn[/i] (Kind of like King's Cross & St Kilda - only much more so - and without the trendy bits!)


Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb