Starting the New Year without metal


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hamburg » Hamburg
January 13th 2011
Published: January 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Travelling around Germany

Hamburg - Stuttgart - Hamburg - Duisburg - Hamburg - Stuttgart - Hamburg - Berlin - Hamburg

The Brandenburger TorThe Brandenburger TorThe Brandenburger Tor

... in Berlin. Went for a little walk after seeing my professor on Monday. A beautiful day!
2011 starts, and Katha is 100 per cent nature again. All the metal in my leg and pelvis was successfully removed in November. Feels good, and I’m glad it’s over.

The surgery was done on the 17th of November. During the weeks before that date, I was useless. I was scared something might go wrong, I was scared of pain, I was sure it would set me back after all the effort I had put into training. Bad memories came back, and so I was kind of glad that the last two weeks before the surgery were extremely busy.

The surgery took place in Tübingen again, a very good hospital with excellent doctors. I had to check into the hospital one day prior to the surgery. All the doctors involved (the pelvis specialist, the anaesthesiologist, the chief physician, and the ward physician) came to talk to me, and they reassured me so that I could have a good night’s sleep. The next morning, I took the medicine they gave me, did some meditation and was so relaxed afterwards that I fell asleep again and did not wake up until they came to take me to the surgery.

The
The ReichstagThe ReichstagThe Reichstag

I thought that I could maybe finally have a look at it from the inside. Usually, there is a long queue, so I don't want to wait. This time, there was no queue. However, this was due to the fact that you are not allowed to enter the building because of terror warnings. Bad luck for me...
surgery itself went well. It took about 1.5 hours, as expected. On my leg, the doctors made the same cuts as last time, but they made very small ones on my pelvis: Just two minor cuts where the screws that held the plates were. So no huge cut, therefore my muscles were hardly affected. Straight after the surgery, I felt pretty okay. But about an hour later, I started feeling terribly sick and was all tired, so I slept for the rest of the day. Mum who came to visit me in the afternoon had luckily brought a newspaper 😉.

But the next day, I felt a lot better already. I was allowed to get up, still on crutches and carrying three bottles around with me because I still had three drains in my body, but I was happy that I did not have to stay in bed. And again one day later, I could walk without crutches, and without bottles and drains and all that. Only three days after the surgery, I was discharged. And I started doing physio and going for long walks straight away so that I would get fit again very soon. But I also
View from my hospital roomView from my hospital roomView from my hospital room

... over the city of Tübingen
gave myself time to relax and recover, slept and read a lot. I stayed at my mum’s place until the end of November, then returned to Hamburg. Family and friends were a great help for me again. Thank you for being there!

I tried to take things slowly in December. The first weekend of December, there was a meditation weekend at the local Rigpa Centre with fantastic teachings by Sogyal Rinpoche, a Tibetan Buddhist who has been living and teaching in western countries for years after having done religious studies in Great Britain.

The weekend after that, I went to Duisburg to see my friend Christiane. We spend a day in Phatasialand, an amusement park not far from Cologne every year in December. They have wonderful shows and nice attractions, so it is always good fun. And we took walks through different Christmas markets. And I should not forget: We had nice food 😊.

I spent Christmas and New Year at home with family and friends in Weinstadt and did not fly back to Hamburg until the 3rd of January. It was good to have another relaxing week with my loved ones. I enjoyed the loads and loads
Sexy DVT stockingsSexy DVT stockingsSexy DVT stockings

Had to wear them before and after the surgery.
of snow we had and went for a walk every day. When you don’t have to travel, it is just so nice and peaceful. And we had so much snow, it’s unbelievable. I can’t remember having experienced such masses of snow in Weinstadt.

I went back to work for a couple of days and was extremely busy, including a day in Berlin to see my professor. Tomorrow, I will be leaving for a three week holiday in Thailand and Cambodia with my friend Mizzi. I will try to keep you updated.

I wish you all a happy new year!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Flying into HamburgFlying into Hamburg
Flying into Hamburg

... on the 30th November, after my surgery.
Snow in HamburgSnow in Hamburg
Snow in Hamburg

A bike covered all in snow on a December day.
Christmas Eve part 1Christmas Eve part 1
Christmas Eve part 1

In the morning, the tree behind the house looked like this.
Christmas Eve part 2Christmas Eve part 2
Christmas Eve part 2

Only a couple of hours later, the tree looked like this.
Christmas DayChristmas Day
Christmas Day

It had kept on snowing all night. So the next morning, the tree looked like this.
Katha with her presentsKatha with her presents
Katha with her presents

New cardigan, scarf, cap, and gloves. Ready for more snow!
IciclesIcicles
Icicles

Usually you see them like that somewhere in the Alps. But this was in Tübingen, not far from Stuttgart!


17th January 2011

Yeehah an update !
Dear Katha, thank You for the update on the good news from You. I wish You a collection of good impressions in Asia. Regards, W.
17th January 2011

Re: Yeehah an update !
Hi WinDfried! Thanx for the good wishes. Update on our Asia trip will follow soon. Wish you a happy new year! Take care, Katha

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb