Last Day of School


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hamburg » Hamburg
July 7th 2010
Published: July 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today was the last day of school for the students of Hanhoopsfeld. It was also the last day working in education for two teachers and the schools principal. As such, we were privy to quite an exhibition as the students said their goodbyes.

The entire school met in the gym and surprised the principal, who has been at the school for many years. Each class performed some sort of show of thanks as a way to say farewell. Poems were read, songs were sung, and one students performed a solo beat box routine.

Every class also had a gift for the departing administrator. Gifts were also given to the teachers who are leaving. Every student in the school was given a flower and they all paraded up to give it to one of the departing educators.

Of course, they saved the best for last…

Gabe led our group in the 1,507th round of the Hokey Pokey in front of the entire school! It was incredible to see that students in the audience were joining in unsolicited! The smiles on the faces of everyone in that gym should make every American student who participated proud! The German teachers brought it up multiple times at the retirement lunch this afternoon. They loved it!

I must mention that Monika Vogel, my host mom here in Hamburg, was one of the teachers retiring today. She has been teaching for 36 years! She’s the Mr. K of Hanhoopsfeld. Monika is a phenomenal teacher and an incredibly kind person who no doubt had a positive impact on countless students during her amazing career! She has been a part of three Edison- Hamburg exchanges and put in a lot of time to make sure things go well for us here in Hamburg. With her energy and enthusiasm, I think that she could go on teaching for many more years. However, I do believe that she and her husband will enjoy retired life. I was told that when the alarm went off this morning at 6am, Monika’s husband loudly exclaimed “Bingo, last one!”

I have no doubt that she will be greatly missed at Hanhoopsfeld come fall!

Congratulation Monika on a great teaching career!

Oh yeah, Heide-Park tomorrow!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



7th July 2010

Congrats!
Hey Ben, Please tell Monika I said a big "congratulations" to her on her retirement. You are very right, she is definitely a special teacher. Thanks, Karen
8th July 2010

Thanks a million for keeping up the blog.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb