First Day At School


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hamburg » Hamburg
June 23rd 2010
Published: June 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today was a great first day! The sun is shining and the temperature is in the 70's!

Everyone, including those students who will be attending Sinstorf School, met at Hanhoopsfeld this morning. It was great to see everyone is such high spirits! Most were able to sleep, and we have eight challenge winners!

We met together in our own room where we received a very warm welcome talk from the schools principal. When he was finished, the students were given their own workbooks that were prepared by our German hosts in order to keep them busy if they are having trouble keeping track of what is going on in class. Heidi and I were then able to meet with them alone to check in and answer any new questions concerning etiquette and customs. It really seems like they are all adjusting remarkably well!

When we finished, it was off to the main courtyard of the school where the principal raised the American flag on the school flag pole in honor of our visit. A reporter from a Hamburg newspaper was present to take photos. Hopefully we make the papers again this time!

Our entire group was provided with a very nice mid morning snack in the break room at school before our students went off to class. Dante and I spoke to the 6th grade English classes as Heidi attended various other classes to keep an eye on how things were progressing.

Of course things were a bit crazy on campus today as Germany was preparing to play their third World Cup Soccer Match. Students were wearing face paint, flags as capes, and incessantly blowing on their vuvuzela's , which are actually quite a bit louder than advertised! All of our students got into the act by donning German colored face paint as well!

After classes ended for the day at 1pm, Jaycy, Braelyn, Elijah, Riley and I headed into the city. I think the kids enjoyed the various modes of transportation utilized on this 30 minute journey. From foot, to the bus, to the train and then the subway. It was a great day in the city! We made the grand tour over the course of 5 hours. Lots of walking, and it is a darn shame that out of the five, not one of us wore our pedometer! We would have racked up some serious steps today! We explored the main shopping thoroughfare, the city hall and town square, the lakes, the Elbe waterfront, checked out the public outdoor World Cup Viewing area (sadly they were showing the England match instead of the U.S. one), and of course got some Gelato from inside the Europa Passage Mall!

Others planned to play soccer, attend a concert, and shop in Harburg. I think this city will grind to a halt when the Germany match starts though!

Day one is in the books and now on the blog too! Tomorrow we will visit Sinstorf School as a group and then Heidi and I will take our kids into the city. Tomorrow evening we will attend a school play at Hanhoopsfeld and then enjoy the Welcome Dinner!

Things are going brilliantly thus far! Our kids are a total class act and are already a hit on campus with students and staff alike!

-Ben




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



24th June 2010

Nice pictures, the day looks lovely
25th June 2010

You Rock
Hey guys, love hearing the great times you're having and that everyone is representing Edison and the United of States in exemplary fashion. The pictures are priceless and it's great to see all the smiles and face paint. Keep the great times comin' Your U.S. followers

Tot: 0.595s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb